suggestions on vitamins

sheatsy1980
on 7/6/15 1:36 pm
RNY on 07/17/15

Looking to see if anyone has any good recommendation on vitamins for after surgery.

RNY on 12/22/14

I did not like the chalky taste and the high number of pills I had to take and have been happy with the Patch vitamins from PatchMD.com

They exceed ASBMS guidelines.

Sharon

mysty888
on 7/6/15 9:15 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

I also use the patch and absolutely love it! Question though, have you had labs done yet? How did they look? I've only been using the patch for a little over a month, so I don't know yet how well it does. My Dr says the absorption is variable, so she advises against them. However, I am WAY more compliant with the Patch than all those horrible pills, so I take my chances for now. I have labs soon, then again 3 months later, so I will see for myself, but was wondering about anyone else's experience. Thanks!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/11/15 5:51 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My doctor was Ok with using them and recommending to others who were having stomach problems from the crappy chewables.

My 3 month labs were great and I only used the patches - PatchMD for Mutli and Cal/D3/Mag and nasal Vit B.  I have added the patch Glucosamine and Condrotin (sp).   I now also use the soft chewables  - they taste like candy, and I figure that through one of the methods that the vitamins are getting in.  (I had to search around on the internet to ind a Calcium soft chewable with Mag and D3.)

Sharon

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/15 9:09 pm - OH

There are SO many different brands of vitamins, that it is really about just finding the ones you need at a decent price.  Many of us take Centrum (either normal tablet or chewable) for the multivitamin.  

For the calcium citrate, it depends on whether you want chewable or not.  I use a combination of pills from Costco ($10 for 500 pills (250mg per pill, so that is $10 for 250 doses... The cheapest I have found it anywhere), the Bariatric advantage raspberry chews, and the chocolate Calcet Creamy Bites. I have also used the capsules from Vitamin Shoppe in the past (the capsules are easier to swallow than the large pills) and the Upcal D powder that you mix into liquids.

For iron, it really depends on what your body tolerates best.  I use Vita lady's Tender Iron which is carbonyl iron.  I don't have trouble with my pouch hurting or constipation with it.

For B12, I use Twin Labs 5000mcg sublingual "dots". It costs about $12 for a bottle that lasts me half a year!  They are small and dissolve quickly.

For things like a B Complex, Vit D (you want DRY D3 rather than D2 or D3 in oil), Vit A, etc., you really can use any brand.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

selhard
on 7/7/15 1:35 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Centrum Silver chewables easily found in chain stores at a good price $8.99 with frequent $3.00 coupons in Sunday paper inserts.

Mcconnl3
on 7/11/15 7:45 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I just ordered the patchmd multi vitamin. I've taken Bariatric Advantage multi with iron capsules since a month after surgery. Every vitamin I've taken by mouth causes nausea when it hits my stomach.  I've tried several brands and they all cause the nausea. My RD wouldn't endorse the patch but she can't offer any solution to feeling sick 3 times a day so I'm going to try the patch and see how my vitamin levels are in 3 month.  I'm interested in others experience with the patch. 

mariarturner
on 9/8/15 4:59 am

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve Vita4Life. I’ve tried everything, trust me. I’m 8 years post op and very successful and compliant. I exercise 5 to 6 days a week and am down to my goal weight and have maintained. I became deficient taking almost everything in one area or another. Surprisingly, Bariatric Advantage, the one everyone raves about was one of the worst. It only took 4 months for my Vitamin D to drop in to the danger zone and my ferritin levels to drop to 41. My Vitamin B-12 was very low and my Vitamin A was toxic. I was a mess. I was also extremely constipated the entire time I was on them. Uncomfortably painfully constipated. It took a few months but got it all sorted out and honestly… Vita4Life is my recommendation from personal experience. It’s the only company that’s provided me with vitamins that have met my needs. I haven’t had any deficiencies since taking them and I can’t be more happy. I take their Multi Plus, Calcium Chelate and Vitamin D3. Might be worth checking out. Good luck.

Most Active