feeling nauseous and weak after power crunch bar?

Amy H.
on 7/8/15 3:06 pm - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

I bought some power crunch salted caramel to try today and had for snack. About 30 mins later I felt terrible, very weak nauseous, and like I had no energy for about 20 mins. I have felt like this before but cannot figure out why it is. No relation in the foods that do it. Anyone ever have this, or any idea what could have done it?

I did kinda eat it fast, took about 10 mins (realized too late). Was it that or too much at once? ...

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

Kathyjs
on 7/8/15 4:31 pm

I can't eat a whole bar at one time . 

cspotrun
on 7/8/15 4:47 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

certain things make me feel that way too.  sometimes if I eat too much without realizing it, or if it's too carb or fat heavy.  sometimes I really can't figure it out.

Karen   

Maria27
on 7/8/15 6:03 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I tried a power crunch bar, and it made me feel sicker than anything else I have eaten since surgery. Just stay away from those things. Whole and minimally processed foods have never made me feel sick. I no longer trust things that are heavily processed, especially protein bars. I have learned to carry nuts and Mr. Cheese O's as snacks.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

JB1114
on 7/8/15 6:11 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Do they have a high about of sugar alcohols?  That can make you feel that way.  Next time, eat slowly and maybe break the bar in half and eat the second half later.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

sor09
on 7/8/15 6:23 pm

Check the label. Alcohol sugars hide in the bars too. Kinda sounds like dumping too.

auntmimi
on 7/9/15 6:01 am

i have found that I my body cannot handle foods that are overly processed or have a lot of carbs, sugar, sugar alcohols or fats. So basically protein bars are out! Instead of the protein bar maybe a cheese stick or almonds would be a better choice. When I "dump" those are the symptoms I typically have, plus my heart feels like its racing out of my chest. Try laying back for a few minutes and see if that helps and stay away from the bars! I am a glutton for punishment cause the first time it happened I thought "well it must of been from ......." and didnt put it together in my head until the second time it happened. Now, I do not fool with any protein bars at all! 

Amy H.
on 7/9/15 8:03 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

Thank you all! I didn't think I could dump from a protein bar, but sounds very possible! I don't even like them much, just was trying to get in my protein for the day. Oh well, DH can have the rest now! :P

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

lcraver
on 7/9/15 8:43 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

That's how I feel when I eat something with high sugar alcohols. I avoid at all costs!!

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/9/15 10:08 am - OH

Most (but not all) protein bars are actually not a particularly good choice because they are so chemical laden that they are barely even "food".  Many of them also have a signifciant amount of sugar alcohols (often more than one, even) which cause some people intestinal distress (such as what you described).

There are many snack choices (e.g., cheese, nuts, yogurt, boiled egg...) that won't make you feel icky.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 115 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?