Why do people post what is right or wrong????

radze09
on 7/14/15 6:23 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

I understand everyone has their own journey and their doctor's have their own plan for patients. We give advice to one another based on our experiences and how our doctors are. My question though is why do we tell other people they are wrong based on our plan????? I eat this this and this, but you eat that, so you are wrong and hurting yourself. I so don't get it. Every plan is different! Please give me advice based on what you have done but don't tell me I am wrong cause my plan is different. This has NOT happened to me, it is just what I am reading on the forum and trying to figure out.

scorpio01
on 7/14/15 6:52 pm - Cincinnati, KY
RNY on 06/19/15

This doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I just noticed that Dr. Sonnanstine is your doc! He's mine too! Isn't he the best? I get to go see him for my one month post op tomorrow. 

radze09
on 7/14/15 7:05 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

He has been awesome!! His staff is really nice too! I am 5 weeks and one day. When I saw him for my 4 week he was very pleased, down 5 pounds more then his goal for the month, so I was walking on cloud nine!! Didn't know he had one set but nice to know I surpassed it. Hope you are doing well!!!

MickeyDee
on 7/14/15 7:51 pm

You think the negativity about food plans is bad;  you should have seen the open warfare that erupted over which surgery is better!  OMG.  Talk about brutal!

Some people just have to be one way;  if it bothers you, don't participate in their wars.  I try not to.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/15/15 7:40 am

Or vitamins. A great way to start fights is to discuss vitamins or what is meant by "clean eating". {insert smiley truthful humor here]

I find different political views are better tolerated here. {ditto insertion]

Oh, truthuful humor aside, just remember that for the vast majority of people, they have been where you are (i.e. totally fed up with being MO, sick, sick of a body that doesnt work, having bad labs and even worse MD appointments, and all the life and health complications that come from MO). We  ALL WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL. And the vast majority, if not all,  of successful vets WANT YOU to be successful too!  That is why they speak up if they observe a potential problem no matter how small.

For example, when I was desperately tryin got get those last 5 lbs off (I wanted to see what the 130s were like.. [they were/are great in fact]) I couldnt figure out WHERE I could possible cut anymore. Then someone pointed out that I drink a LOT Of coffee and the fat free half and half that I was using (just 2 tablespoons at a time) could be REALLY adding up.  They suggested substituting a rice/soy/almond/nut milk instead (these nut and grain milks only have 30 calories per cup).  YOu know what, those last 5 STUBBORN pounds fell off. This made total sense cuz my NUT told me that just as little as 20 excess calories is enough to send you into plateaus. That is TWO freaking tic-taks.

So try to think of us Internet friends as friends that want you to be successful. We all hold pieces of a puzzles and when  you suggest that you need help completing YOUR puzzle we come running over with our puzzle pieces to see if they "fit."

So try to take the good with the bad.  Or just try to take only the good.

But please remember for the vast majority of people on these boards, they are just trying to help..sometimes..it just comes out wrong.

PS...You will probably find GRIM to be TOTALLY correct in his assessments about CRACKers and alcohol.  Like as soon as you get out of mushy foods, it might behoove you to give away any CRACKers if you like savory breads and chips.  To this day, I totally lose it around cheez-its, saltines, and Keebler club CRACKers. My tiny pouch turns into the Grand Canyon when CRACKers arrive!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Laura in Texas
on 7/14/15 12:52 pm, edited 7/14/15 1:28 pm

Some doctors are idiots and really do not have good post-op plans. We have to be our own advocates and do lots of research. Those of us who have been around a while try to steer people in the right directions. If you think some of us are offensive, you can use the block button on the bottom of every reply.

ETA: Oops- hover over the avatar of the person who annoys you and choose "Block"

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 7/15/15 7:43 am

This too! 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/15 8:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Once in a while, someone does something dangerous. If you are writing about eating tacos and pizza less than a week after surgery, you need to be told how wrong that is. If you say you're 6 months out from surgery, don't take vitamins, your labs are fine, so you won't bother taking them, you're wrong. There's no gray area.

Otherwise, I don't think so much in terms of right and wrong, but rather what works and what doesn't. Your eating plan includes crackers? Ok. You're eating crackers at night in bed? You are on a dangerous path. We've seen lots, LOTS of people complain about no loss, or regain, eating that way. So people will say you should stop. 

Some plans get written by numbskulls. Some plans intentionally compromise. They say things like Flintstones vitamins or gummies are ok, when they know they aren't. But they've seen so many patients take no vitamins at all, they hope they can get them to take a crappy version. Hey, it's better than nothing at all, right?

Plans come in a huge range. People here just try to point out what harms people, or hinders their progress. Some people dig in and insist they know better, some are skeptical, but listen. Take the advice, or don't.

Sheldon: More wrong? Wrong is an absolute state and not subject to degradation
Stuart: It's a little wrong to say to say a tomato is a vegetable, it's very wrong to say it's a suspension bridge

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AmyDee123
on 7/14/15 8:53 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

One of the best quotes in that whole show. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

chulbert
on 7/15/15 5:49 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Grim, you are on a roll.  Another great one.

Most Active
Recent Topics