Newby question if you don't mind

frhoffard
on 7/21/15 3:56 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

Hello everyone!  I'm new here and this is my first post so please be patient with me.  I have my 1st consultation appointment with Dr. Todd in Anchorage, AK 8-12-15 and have been doing some research before I go. I live in Juneau and can't have WLS here; I havn't even been able to find local support groupts.  My question is, if I do everything exactly as I'm supposed to after surgery, what are the chances I will lose the weight I need too.  I've read alot of things on a few websites that says I can expect to lose around 130 lbs, which would still make me obese.  I'm committed to this process, I've already been working with my primary dr to meet the qualifications for my insurance.  I guess maybe I just need some reassurances from others that have maybe been in the same oversized boat that I currently find myself in.    Thanks for listening

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

Izzi
on 7/21/15 4:39 pm
RNY on 08/12/15

I have yet to have my surgery, but I am sure that if you prepare and plan and make life long changes you will meet your goal. The one thing I have learned about  people who meet their goal is that 95% of them FOLLOW THEIR PLAN to the letter! They are dedicated and made life long changes in how they view eating!   Good luck!

White Dove
on 7/21/15 4:44 pm - Warren, OH

Weight loss is very easy for the first eighteen months after RNY.  Use that time to form good eating habits that will help you maintain long term.  There is no limit to how much you can lose, but keeping if off takes work and dedication.

Go to Resources on this page and Post Op Planner.  Put your numbers in and then you can see what you expect to lose each month if you do everything right.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

frhoffard
on 7/21/15 4:54 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

Thanks Izzi & White Dove!

I will check out the resources page and see what the numbers say.  I found a few diet plans and compared them; I have already started working on my portion control.  I also started weaning myself off of all the carbs, concentrating on increasing the protein I take in and I have already noticed that I tend to feel full quicker and longer if I eat protein first.  I got a kitchen scale and portion out my meals for the week on Sunday afternoons so that I'm not tempted to go over board.  I've also started trying protein drinks and mixes so maybe I can find some that I can tolerate.

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

hollykim
on 7/21/15 5:12 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

one of the most important things to start now,is not drinking with meals and for 30-60 min after a meal. 

frhoffard
on 7/21/15 5:15 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

hollykim, thanks.  I'm working on that.  It's been one of the harder things for me honestly.

jenorama
on 7/21/15 6:46 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Surgery is basically a way to enforce eating at a lower calorie level.  As long as you eat less calories than you use, you will lose weight, regardless of surgery or not.  Now, since you're going with RNY, you will have the added boost of caloric malabsorption for about 18 months.  This means that if you put in 1500 calories, you will not completely absorb 1500 calories.  This WILL eventually end.

A good idea is to figure out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure would be at your goal weight and base your caloric intake on that.  This will be more important the closer you get to your goal weight and you start eating up to your maintenance calories.  

Right after surgery, it's pretty much impossible to not lose weight unless you are drinking your calories in the form of high-calorie drinks (Starbucks, milkshakes etc) because liquids go right on through and don't fill you up.  As long as you stick to dense protein and limit your carbs, you'll do fine.  :D

There are a lot of people on here who have gone way past their doctor's expectations and they've done it by carefully monitoring their intake.  There's no reason why you can't be as successful if you put in the same work!  :D

Jen

M. P.
on 7/21/15 7:22 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I am still going through the all the pre-surgery hoops as well. I am a really big math nerd. I decided to have the surgery because 95% of people who loose weight with traditional diet and excercise gain it back. While 30% of people who have surgery do. In addition the average weight loss is 65% of your excess fat. 

However, I  think that if you are really committed to using this tool to its fullest, logging all your food forever and being present with your journey every step of the way you should be able to loose more than the 65% and keep it off for good.

I know that there is no way I am going to let myself be one of those who gains it back. I want this surgery to help me be successful and I am more than willing to commit the rest of my life to making it work. 

Good luck on your journey!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/21/15 9:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I started a bit higher than your weight.  

You can do anything you set your mind to.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sor09
on 7/21/15 10:19 pm

Sounds like you are starting off great. Read as much of this journey online as you can. YouTube videos are a help too since you are tuck away in AK. WLS is a tool and with proper nutrition designed for Bariatric folks and exercise... you need coping skills and self-honesty about yourself... with that being written, you can do this. "You are worth it!" Best wishes for your success.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views