Is Acid a Possibility?

annabellarose77
on 8/13/15 9:07 am - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Hi Everyone. I had my RNY June 30th of this year. In another post I mentioned my surgeon thought I might have an ulcer, and I was scheduled for an upper scope. Everything came back negative, and the GI doc thought it might be esophageal spasms. I was put on Reglan, which seemed to be helping, however, I still cannot eat any food without getting immediately sick and nauseated. On the bright side, I am able to keep liquids down. I still have my PICC line in until next week. I have heartburn every day, and more so early in the morning and late at night. I have suffered with acid reflux for many, many years prior to surgery so this feeling is not foreign to me. I asked my surgeon about it, and he said gastric bypass patients do not have acid. I understand the pouch doesn't make acid, but I have heard you can have acid left from your remnant stomach. I was wondering if anybody else has been through this. I am so sick of feeling sick, and being unable to eat to get my protein in, and having this PICC in. I feel like I must be going crazy. I don't want to regret having this surgery, I know it should get better, but right now I feel like one big disaster. Thanks for listening to me rant

Andria Ragland

White Dove
on 8/13/15 9:21 am - Warren, OH

I was on Prilosec for the first three months.  That is pretty routine.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/15 10:00 am

I had to be on omeprozole for 3-4 years post op RNY, because everyone I tried to get off, my pouch would get irritated, very painful. 

I finally was able to get off...but since some of my meds had changed, I am back on the PPI. Yea..RNY with Gerd.. 

Btw- I never had to take PPI before RNY, I was able to control that with diet... Go figure...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 8/13/15 4:09 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I still have heartburn and take Prilosec every day.  My doctor told me it's unusual but sometimes happens.  Good luck to you.

Karen   

annabellarose77
on 8/14/15 7:04 pm - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Thanks everyone for your responses. I finally got a script for Nexium and started it last night. Today, I have been able to eat a small amount without nausea. I finally have some hope that better days are ahead. I just hope I can do well enough this coming week to get this PICC out

Andria Ragland

Most Active
Recent Topics