Hits just keep on coming

Joemac9408
on 12/10/15 12:59 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Since having my surgery in Feb, I've had my gallbladder removed in Sept. and a bowel obstruction a month ago.  Before the bowel obstruction I was having problems with heartburn and some bloating after eating so my surgeon wanted me to have an endoscopy done.  I had my procedure today and after I woke up when my gastro was telling me what he saw he said where my surgeon reconnected the small intestine to my stomach he couldn't even get the scope down it.  I mentioned that for the last few months I couldn't eat more than two bites of any solid proteins because I felt like I just ate a turkey.  Apparently this is why.  He couldn't believe I haven't been vomiting a lot.  I guess I've just been doing almost all really soft foods that can get passed the small opening.  I still do protein shakes everyday and protein bars.  My gastro is sending me for a barium test and than we will go from there as far as how to remedy the situation.  In the mean time i'll let my surgeon know the results and see how he wants to proceed since its his work I trust him the most.  It just been a really stressful and almost depressing last few months for me and I'm hoping it ends after this problem is fixed and I can go back to eating normal and hopefully put on some weight.  My question for all of you is if anyone here had something similar how they fixed it.  I'm hoping its not through another surgery but at this point it is what it is.  Thanks to all of you for your help

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/10/15 1:07 pm

Ouch.. what you have is stricture.. some of them can be opened up using a balloon.  it is called "stoma dilation"  Sometimes it takes more than 1 dilation... 

good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Joemac9408
on 12/10/15 1:34 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Thanks.  I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse.  Not sure how that works.  It's pretty scary to thing you're in the clear, losing weight and eating right and than problems pop up out of no where like this.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/10/15 2:26 pm

a lot of people have that... not that this should you make to feel better... but - some claim that small stoma helps them stay full longer and maintain more easy.  so.. maybe there is a silver lining somewhere???  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crazy4birds
on 12/10/15 4:13 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

Oh wow, I bet you never thought you would be trying to gain weight. Hopefully they get you fixed up for good and you can actually eat something other than soft foods.  Best of luck to you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 54 replies · 225 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 508 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics