Emotional Eating Downfall

annabellarose77
on 1/6/16 12:58 am - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted on here. I have been struggling recently with weight gain and just being off track with my goals. I have always struggled with emotional eating which is how I ended up being as heavy as I was prior to surgery. Just when I think I have it figured out how to handle it, something happens to blow that out of the water. I have learned to handle everyday stress much better, but right now I'm dealing with the fact that I have been out of contact with my Army SO boyfriend for much longer than normal. I worry so much, and unfortunately it brings out my worst habits with food. I know a lot of us deal with many personal issues and emotional eating. Just wondering how each of you handle it. I know I need to get my butt back into support group meetings. I can't derail all of my progress so I have to get back on track somehow. I wish I was one of those people who couldn't eat when they are upset. I'm trying to figure out how to calm my mind during these times so I don't automatically reach for the refrigerator. It's horrible because I feel so sick afterwards. Has anyone had success with mediation? I am willing to try anything at this point. I've worked too hard to backslide now. 

Thanks for listening guys. I appreciate your advice. I know I still have so much to learn.

Andria Ragland

magpye
on 1/6/16 7:22 am

So sorry to hear you are struggling!  As to meditation, I think it can be an amazing and powerful tool and the science behind it does prove that it can change the size of the amygdala in the brain - the reactionary, anxiety producing part. I am beginning to use meditation as one of my coping tools for my emotional eating addiction. There are so many types of meditation - just look online for a type that resonates with you. I like the book "Meditation:Finding Peace In A Frantic World."  Best of luck to you!!

Magpye

RNY - 12/8/15

White Dove
on 1/6/16 7:35 am - Warren, OH

Call your surgeon's office and get a referral to a therapist who works with eating disorders.  They will guide you through mediation which is a very powerful tool.  It is hard to go to support meetings when you do not feel confident in your progress. 

Working with a therapist one on one might be easier for you now.  Have you contacted the Army to find out if your friend is OK?  I know several men whose commanding officers forced them to write a letter to family back home when they cut off communication for no reason.

Do not allow your boyfriend issues to sabotage your weight loss.  Nobody should have the power to upset you and make you overeat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 25 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views