Ups and Downs

magpye
on 2/18/16 9:33 am

Hi All,

Okay, experiencing some major ups and downs here.  The happy ups: weight loss, new sexy high heels -first time in years, more energy, generally feeling better!

The unhappy downs: first dumping experience - ate 3 pieces of chocolate the other day KNOWING it would cause a problem  but I did it any way - I think it was a total throw back to "yes, I am a food addict and to hell with the consequences" behavior.  I am also not exercising everyday and I'm still waiting for my thyroid meds to even out.  

I have NO EXCUSES for my lack of exercising - where is this resistance coming from?  My weight loss feels slow due to not enough exercise, menopause and possible thyroid.  I need to focus on what I can change!  I have been given a gift with this surgery - I need to find the will to embrace all that it requires.  I am open and thankful to any feedback you amazing losers have to share!

Magpye

Magpye

RNY - 12/8/15

supershopper
on 2/18/16 9:40 am

Everyone feels this way.

Try to find an exercise that you can like. I recently found out I could jog, so I have been training for a 5k. I WANT to go exercise, not that I HAVE to.

Maybe yoga or zumba or water aerobics?

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

HFA70
on 2/18/16 2:24 pm

Running is my favourite!  I mean, if I HAVE to choose an exercise, that's the one.  None of us exercise because we love to, I find myself talking myself out of it all the time, eg;  I was really busy at work, it's too cold, it's too hot......all the time.  It is a constant battle, but it is also a love-hate relationship.

I agree, find something you LIKE to do and you'll be more likely to do it on a regular basis. Also, change things up once in a while and try something new or different.  It helps.

Good luck!

Deanna798
on 2/18/16 11:01 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm 6.5 months post op and yelling at myself for not exercising.  I hate exercise, I know I need it because I feel like I'm losing muscle mass, but I just hate it.

Good thing you dumped on that chocolate.  I ate two pieces of chocolate in December... didn't dump at all, damnit. I have to fight the urge knowing I am physically able to eat it.  Now you know how ****ty you'll feel if you do it again. 

I can't eat sugar alcohol, and I got really sick on it, so I stay away from it like it's the plague.  I wish sugar did that to me.  

We are all works in progress.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

aesposito
on 2/18/16 5:25 pm

I am saying this because I care about you... eating 3 pieces of chocolate two months out is not normal and I think you need to talk to a therapist or counselor about this behavior.  I am sorry if it's not a popular opinion, but I had to say it.

Exercise i**** or miss, anecdotal evidence on this forum suggests exercise is not the main reason we are losing weight (although it helps).  Diet is the main reason.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

magpye
on 2/18/16 5:49 pm

Hi Audrey,

i have to admit it - I think you are right about a therapist. I'm still in a messed up mind space from having had a previous lap band that did well until it did not do well with an erosion. After the band was removed, I had to wait for the rny for a few months due to infection and I know I got right back into that addictive eating pattern. The band was different in many ways and I am still learning the difference. Also, you are exactly right- what the heck am I doing eating chocolate after only 2 months??!!  Am I that addict deluding herself that I can eat "normal" foods like other non-food addicts?  This is a real wake up call for me and I so appreciate your candor.   Ugh, not an easy journey, but I have to stop whining and self sabotaging!

Magpye

RNY - 12/8/15

aesposito
on 2/18/16 6:24 pm

Some call it candor.  Others call it annoying.  I am glad you are in the first camp.

And I reiterate that I do care about you and your success.  I care about everyone on this board, because they were (are) all me.  I'm not always right, but as I tell my students, at least when I'm wrong, I'm decisively wrong LOL.  I am glad you are taking my candor in the spirit in which it is given.

Audrey

magpye
on 2/20/16 10:02 am

Update:  have an appointment with a food addiction therapist on Monday!  Thank you all :)

Magpye

RNY - 12/8/15

aesposito
on 2/22/16 4:40 am

This makes me very happy and excited for you :)

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 241 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views