I am getting a bit discouraged

ursulla92
on 1/3/17 10:45 am

Guys it's Ronda again .Tomorrow will be 3weeks and I can have liquids and pureed foods. I know I need lots of protein and fluids but I really don't like protein shakes. My stomach seems to be to nauseated I can't stand it. Do u have any suggestions how I can maybe add flavor to any shakes maybe I could keep it down. 

One Bad Beach
on 1/3/17 10:55 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I'm sorry, Ronda, that you are going through this.  I could drink the shakes if I could just get past the smell of them.  I decided that I was going to just have to try and get my protein in from regular foods that I could puree.  You can get a lot of protein from eggs, if you can tolerate them, as well as making a pureed tuna or chicken salad.  These three things saved my life and got me closer to goal on the protein. 

Good luck!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

ursulla92
on 1/3/17 11:21 am

Thank you so very much. This is my problem I can't stand the smell of  them. I eat at least 2 deviled eggs a day and I can take tuna. I surely hope I can get past this because before my surgery I lost 14lbs. now I'm down 30 and  it's very exciting but I'm feeling a bit down because I can't stomach anything.

Ginnny
on 1/3/17 11:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

If it's just the smell try putting them in a travel mug with a lid on it.  That should help to keep the smell from your nose!!

Brandi Girl
on 1/3/17 2:50 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

Yep! I pour mine into water bottles. No smell. 

CJ On Orcas
on 1/3/17 11:06 am
RNY on 09/09/16

What have you tried?  I can tolerate the Premier Protein shakes.  I also use Unjury, both unflavored and the chicken broth flavor.  I Love the Syntrax Nectars, especially Fuzzy Navel.  They are more like juice than a milky shake, and have 23 grams for a scoop.  I also eat a lot of greek yogurt, and if you use plain you can put the syntrax flavors in them, or you can use the unflavored.  Cottage cheese blended (although I never blended mine even at the pureed stage, just chewed really well) has a lot of protein.  You just have to keep trying everything.  We are all different - I could not tolerate water in the beginning so used diet cranberry juice, and now I cannot tolerate most meats.  But you will feel much better when you can get at least 60 grams protein.

Good luck!

RNY_elizabeth
on 1/3/17 11:24 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I didn't use any shakes.  They tasted real gross to me. Way too sweet and just well..yuck. I did find that Cocotein worked well instead and didn't taste yucky to me at all.  I also used cottage cheese and Greek yogurts...lots of Greek yogurt. I still eat Greek yogurt...pretty much everyday. Now I even make my own in my Instant Pot. I might actually turn into Greek yogurt one day. LOL

It really does get better. 

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

CJ On Orcas
on 1/3/17 11:55 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I will be greek yogurt with you.

OneBlueSock
on 1/3/17 5:15 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

I'll be greek yogurt with the both of you....I also make my own and I loooooove it.  I'm probably 75% greek yogurt at this point 

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

Heather P.
on 1/3/17 11:58 am

I had the same problem early on.  I hated the taste and smell of protein shakes.  I had to plug my nose to drink them and even then I could MAYBE get one down each day.  I know it's bad but I got very little protein in for the first couple months.  Once I could eat real food, like chicken and beef it became A LOT easier. The most important thing is to get enough liquids in at this point.  The protein really is secondary.  Whatever you need to do to get the liquids in, do it.   Hang in there, I know it seems like it takes a long time, but you will get past this stage :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics