Trying to get my life together

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 1:25 am
RNY on 11/09/17

hi all, first time posting!

I'm a 34 year old wife and mother of 6... I've decided years ago that gastric bypass was going to be my best option for losing weight. I'm currently around 320, I'm 5'10, and I'm also an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. I've struggled for years and I'm still struggling with controlling my blood sugar. I go through bouts of not taking my medications for a while then getting back on track. I'm at the point now where I've been off my medications and haven't seen a doctor for a few months, not by choice (lost health insurance) I've recently got my insurance back but I'm having a hard time trying to get back into the swing of things... my medications make me feel awful! I'm just feeling like I'm gonna die before I'm able to get myself together and I'm really looking for advice, support, or anything!

CathyV
on 3/22/17 5:20 am

So, are you pursuing the surgery now? Just getting started?

I'm a nurse, so I'm gonna lecture you...Get Thee To The Doctor, Girlfriend. Diabetes is not something to fool around with. You know that. You are young, so I'm going to guess all those babies are too. They need you. Stop putting this off. Call today. TODAY. Use your kids to motivate you. Dying early, yes,,,but how about just feeling your best so you can take care of those kids without feeling so lousy? I have five myself. One has special needs and will live with me until one of us dies. I pray every day it is him first, so he doesn't have to live without me, and he was my motivation to have this surgery, so I can live as long and healthy a life as possible. And I didn't even realize how bad I felt every day until I didn't anymore. I'm going to guess you are putting it off because the doctor will harass you about your weight? That's why I always put off going to the doctor... :)

Ok. So, the surgery...will your insurance cover it? Do you know yet?

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 12:46 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

I made an appointment with my pcp for Friday, my endocrinologist for tomorrow, and my surgeon for Monday! This time was truly not by choice, I lost my insurance 6 months ago... now that I have insurance again, I'm not gonna let another chance for the change I need to slip away!

Mary Gee
on 3/22/17 6:26 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Kathy has given you excellent advice - you must see your doctor. I might add that it sounds like you should get counseling. You've had the option of having weight loss surgery for several years, but didn't go through with it. Why?

Now you have to confirm that your new insurance covers weight loss surgery, and if so, what are the requirements.

Action plan: 1. Make appointment to see your PCP. 2. Confirm insurance coverage for WLS and determine their requirements. 3. If WLS is covered, get referral to barbaric surgeon. 4. Make appointment to start counseling.

You need to take action - not only for your own benefit, but for your children's benefit also.

Best of luck to you. And keep posting!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 12:57 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

Honestly, it's just been one thing after another! I've allowed my chaotic family life to stand in my way! I've basically just put my own health on the back burner while caring for my family... it doesn't really make sense but it's true! Having 6 children is really hectic and while I know that I shouldn't have neglected my own health, I did! I've scheduled appointments with my doctors and I'm determined more than ever to get on track!

White Dove
on 3/22/17 6:31 am - Warren, OH

Every day that you wait for surgery makes the pancreas weaker and your chances of diabetes going into remission less likely. Every day that you go without medicine makes your body weaker and sicker.

This is a disease that you have an opportunity to fix. It won't get better on its own.

Most diabetes have "burned out" periods. It does not get easier. I hope you come to your senses and get this taken care of now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 12:59 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

I've scheduled appointments with all my doctors over the next few days...

CJ On Orcas
on 3/22/17 11:43 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Cathy's advice is right on the money. I am a Type II diabetic. Six months post-op and no longer on any diabetes meds, and I was insulin dependent. I HATED taking insulin but eventually was on a base dose of Lantus and also Novalog at every meal. I also took metformin. My A1c was up to 11.0 which is quite high. I had a period of several years where I could not afford health insurance, and when I finally got ACA it was a blessing. They paid for my WLS, and I left the hospital off of insulin. My A1c is now 6.4 and dropping, I hope. I have lost nearly 80 pounds.

Get to a doctor and find out if they will pay for your surgery. Run, don't walk. It is the best thing you can do for yourself and your kids.

Kiki1182
on 3/22/17 1:02 pm
RNY on 11/09/17

I've scheduled appointments with my doctors over the next few days, I'm on the road to recovery! My last a1c was a 9.4... that was about 8 months ago and I wasn't on any medications at the time. I'm hoping that it hasn't worsened too much since then.

Sarahakers11
on 3/23/17 6:29 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Oh sweetie! I have been there! Please please please start with being gentle and kind to yourself. I have a lot to say about the "getting your **** together". Start with this blog post for one... http://www.thedepressedhiker.com/2016/09/19/i-need-to-get-my -****together/

I would suggest you look at possibilities for "face to face" support as well as online. Consider things like: meetups (joining or creating), a therapist, OA, the local hospital or gastric doctor may have regular groups as well. I personally need to be outside and connect with the earth at times, you could try any kind of activity that helps get you out of your brain. I find if I can do something that gets my brain and body on the same page it helps. For example walking around the block doesn't do that because I just think the whole time (not always bad but sometimes not great) when I walk in the woods for a long time I get tired enough I'm more balanced in moving and brain...not over thinking so to speak. Playing with my dog gets me balanced in brain and body as well. Everyone is different I am of the theory of throw everything at a problem then keep what works and get rid of the rest with no guilt about it. If it doesn't work for you there is no need to feel like your doing it wrong or that you should do it a particular way. "it" being really anything in your life and "work" being something you don't have to force!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 275 views