Small Hiatal Hernia

annabellarose77
on 3/25/17 8:26 am - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Hello Everyone,

I've been having a lot of stomach issues since February. I developed post infectious IBS after two attacks of C-Diff last year. I know this is the cause of my loose stools and stomach cramps. However, I'm having a lot of pain in my upper right quadrant -( gallbladder removed in 2009). I'm also having severe nausea, trouble keeping any kind of food down ( I can only eat small amounts and then fell extremely full). Only recently have I had some issues with heartburn and gnawing hunger pains and burning in the middle of my chest. I know that can be a sign of an ulcer, but it's not as bad as the nausea and pain in my right side and middle of stomach. I've had ct scans, blood work, and a colonoscopy done and the GI doctor says all normal. My surgeon says it has nothing to do with my RNY because the pain would be on the left side. The GI doctor disagrees and thinks I may have to get the surgery reversed.

Long story short, I had an abdominal MRI done yesterday so they could get a better look at my organs and the bile ducts. I went online to see if my results were back. They aren't yet, but I decided to look at my previous ct scan done on March 10th and it showed I had a small hiatal hernia. They never informed me of this. It may not be anything to be concerned with, but now I'm wondering if this has anything to do with some of the issues I'm having. Knowing I'm a gastric bypass patient, I don't understand why they wouldn't at least inform me that they found a hiatal hernia no matter what the size. The doctors all make me feel like I'm crazy because they cannot find anything on the tests, and my surgeon thinks he's perfect so doesn't want to entertain the thought of any possible complications.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong with me. It's hard to keep functioning like this. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. After everything I've been through, the thought of having to reverse the surgery makes me want to punch somebody. Sorry just frustrated.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Andria Ragland

GmaDiana
on 3/25/17 1:42 pm

I'm suprised they didn't repair the hiatal hernia when they did you surgery.That is what my dr does.I did have it fail after the sleeve surgery and developed severe acid reflux with no issues but a cough and hoarseness.They did endoscope and upper GI.I had revision to bypass Nov. 2016.They had to repair my hiatal hernia because it had failed.Feel a lot better.if you don't stay hydrated and get you protein in it will make you feel really sick.

Could be pancreatitis. if the pain is severe.I had my gallbladder out too.I have friends that did also and have trouble with pancreatitis. Just a thought.

annabellarose77
on 3/25/17 3:47 pm - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Thanks GmaDiana. I had my surgery June 2015 and was scoped prior to surgery and no hernia was found. I've thought about pancreatitis but the GI doctor doesn't think so because my blood work is normal. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the results are from the MRI. Not sure if I should let my surgeon know about the hiatal hernia they found or not.

Andria Ragland

NYMom222
on 3/26/17 5:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You can get a hiatal hernia at anytime, so it can be new.

So you say you have heartburn and gnawing hunger pains....did they try a PPI? Did you get any relief if you did... I have acid flare ups and when I do ....like having one today, I feel nauseous, like vomiting and pain near my sternum, I am assuming where the pouch and esophogus meet. Not today but sometimes I do vomit. Once it starts I need to take the PPI for several weeks and then wean myself off.

My first year after surgery I was complaining of pain and they kept making excuses-you are eating too fast, too much etc. When I was still complaining at a year out they started doing tests and discovered I had an insicional hernia...didn't heal after surgery. I was on PPI daily since surgery at that point. I had to come off them for 2 weeks for one of the tests and I was so sick. Things got better after the hernia repair....I try to only take PPI only when I have flare ups...Acid stinks and pain could be a hernia.

They need to find the cause, because reversing the surgery isn't necessarily going to help if they don't know why.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 180 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?