Over the counter cold preventatives?

M. P.
on 4/8/17 9:02 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Hi guys,

My 6yr old has had a cold and cough for the past week. I am starting to feel the build up in my chest. Before surgery, this would be the time when I'd load up on Emergen-c echinacea, garlic supplements and the like to help boost my immune system. Usually it would work and keep me from ever really getting sick.

I am a month post op and not sure what I can or should take? I want to fight this cold off at the head.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Emiepie
on 4/8/17 10:14 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I have still taken Emergen-C on a few occasions post-op. You could always with your doc just to make sure.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/8/17 10:48 am

All of the above. I would make sure you use the reduced sugar emergen-C.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tri_harder
on 4/8/17 11:08 am

I use a generic of Zicon which is available at Walmart for $5. It is a zinc based orange flavored lozenge you melt on your tongue 4 times a day. You don't eat or drink anything for 30 minutes afterward. A chemist friend of mine said that it binds up the virus. I have used it for the past few years and it work well for me. Tri

slightlyrocky
on 4/10/17 6:17 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Zicam (zinc) comes in a spray form. Tastes nasty but tolerable.

stacyrg
on 4/10/17 9:00 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I take Emergen-C and have had no problems post op.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 91 views
What's on your Monday Menu?