Day Before Surgery ????????

dorothy1110
on 9/1/17 3:03 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I have to drink Magnesium Citrate the day before surgery. Has anyone else drank this or do we all? I was wondering how gross it is and how bad the bathroom visits that day will be? My surgery is next Wednesday.

Writergurl08
on 9/1/17 4:03 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I've had to for other surgeries. To me it tasted like bitter Sprite. Stay near a restroom. It wasn't too terrible, but the effects can be different for everyone.

hollykim
on 9/1/17 4:08 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 1, 2017 at 10:03 PM Pacific Time, dorothy1110 wrote:

I have to drink Magnesium Citrate the day before surgery. Has anyone else drank this or do we all? I was wondering how gross it is and how bad the bathroom visits that day will be? My surgery is next Wednesday.

it is kinda like a salty lemon lime drink. Best served very cold over lots of ice. Don't plan anything for the day you drink it. Especially in the early evening , into night time.

It it is a very common bowel prep.

FluffyChix
on 9/1/17 5:59 pm

LOL! I actually love the stuff: lemon-lime and the cherry also. It kinda reminds me of sour patch candy in liquid form! It's like a party in a "can." snort Anytime that anesthesia is involved to ANY degree, I will use the stuff to make sure I'm clean as a whistle! LOL. I would advise starting early just in case there is a delay in how quickly it works. Like others have said, make sure you allow all day! Make sure it's ice cold!!

ernrse67
on 9/9/17 12:17 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

No I didn't have to drink anything. Only be NPO after midnight

How are you doing dorothy? I don't feel like I had anything done!! I mean I do have pain, but it doesn't seem I have any issues with drinking amounts and I do not have any nausea.

ernrse67
on 9/9/17 12:19 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

How are you doing Dorothy? I'm doing great and don't even feel like i've had any surgery. I of course have some pain, but I don't have a problems drinking and no nausea at all. I've been able to drink quite a bit without an issue. and I gained 6 lbs!!! How is that possible after this surgery???

dorothy1110
on 9/9/17 7:36 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I am doing okay. I do feel like I had surgery. I have had issues with pain. My left side is the worst. The Drs. used that one for the biggest trocar. My incisions are healing well. I did not need any drains at all. I hated the liquid for the leak test, it was so gross. During the middle of the night on first night I woke in tremendous amount of pain, It was so horrible. Nurse gave me pain med in IV then I was great. I had issues of not enough urine coming out after catheter came out. I also did not pass gas until this morning. I gained 14 pounds. I think that had to do with not releasing the gas they put in my abdomen and not urinating a lot. I have to make myself drink because I don't really have an appetite. have you tried the Premier Protein Clear Fruit Punch? It's not to bad. 20 grams of protein. I see my surgeon again on Tuesday. How is your energy level? I have found myself starting to fall asleep sitting on the computer or watching tv. Well I am getting tired the beds calling me.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 291 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views