losing weight after surgery

bluebutterfly17
on 9/24/18 9:09 am
RNY on 09/17/18

Hi everyone! I'm super excited because I checked my weight today and I am down to 238. On average how much weight do you usually lose the first month after surgery? I didn't lose much before surgery but I can already see and feel changes in my appearance now.

With hard work comes results

Librarian67
on 9/24/18 9:23 am
RNY on 02/28/17

While everyone is different, some people lose alot of weight in the first month. You aren't eating much and the weight comes off easily. Beware the 3-week stall however. It isn't unusual to have a few days or more than a week where your weight loss stops around 3-4 weeks out from surgery. It can be very discouraging after the big weight loss in the first weeks.

Also for many of us, after the first few weeks, the weight comes off in fits and starts. Just measure what you eat and drink lots of fluids and the weight will move when it is ready.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

bluebutterfly17
on 9/24/18 1:34 pm
RNY on 09/17/18

to try and limit the amounts of time I weight myself, I got rid of my scale and only weight myself at work. At work it's hard because people are always around the scale and I dont like people in my business. This works for me because I don't want to spend every single day checking a scale.

White Dove
on 9/24/18 2:26 pm - Warren, OH

Get yourself a scale and wear it out. It is so much fun to watch that scale go down. Don't miss out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

bluebutterfly17
on 9/25/18 7:50 am
RNY on 09/17/18

but also very stressful when to stalls or stops, I dont want that stress

Au_Contraire
on 9/24/18 4:11 pm

I am a daily weigher. I spent years pretending that if I didn't know the number on the scale, then it couldn't be as bad as all that. Now even if I felt I had eaten too much the day before, I get on the scale every single morning, because I want to know for sure exactly where I'm at! And if the scale reflects a small gain - which it weirdly occasionally will do even though I've been utterly compliant - it is better to know than not. All in all, for me, daily weighing helps me to be real with myself, and it helps me to stay focused and on the straight and narrow. I don't allow it to make me overly frustrated though weeks of stalling are a bit much, all in all, I love my scale! It helps me to be a healthier, thinner person. Plus it is a joy when the numbers go down! So I record my weight daily, and log every calorie consumed. I know not everyone feels they benefit by this degree of micro-management, but it truly works for me.

Also - join us on the daily menu thread! It too helps, and it's really nice to have the camaraderie and support of folks who understand just what you're experiencing!

bluebutterfly17
on 9/25/18 7:59 am
RNY on 09/17/18

im so scared of the daily weight-ins, I fear the frustration when I stop losing but I will think it over. I just checked since everyone is telling me to check daily and I lost another pound since yesterday.

I will join the other blog now, I want all the help and support I can get especially since no one aside from my mother knows I did this surgery. I'm telling everyone I'm dieting and going to the gym. Any other thread yu suggest? I'm new to this so I don't know all the good stuff to be a part of.

Au_Contraire
on 9/25/18 12:08 pm

You don't have to weigh daily. Lots of people prefer not to do so. I like it because it keeps me in reality regarding my weight, and also because I am ok with stalls and minor fluctuations - not that I like them, but they don't throw me. Overall for me daily weighing has significantly more benefits than not. But do what is best for you! Just keep your eye on the prize always, and you will reach it!

bluebutterfly17
on 9/25/18 8:13 am
RNY on 09/17/18

where do I find daily menu thread? I checked in forums but couldnt find it.

Writergurl08
on 9/25/18 8:34 am
RNY on 02/15/18

It's in the RNY forum, look for a topic that says "What's on your menu?" Someone starts it every morning (a couple regulars, whoever is up and on here first in the morning)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Most Active
Recent Topics