help with list of foods and amounts

Anita Jo
on 5/11/19 5:27 pm - Elmira, NY

Hi All,

I had my RNY august 28,2003... I was/am doing keto for almost 4 years now off and on, now i am trying to do more bariatric more than keto. does anyone have a list of foods and amounts i can eat to lower my cholesterol. i am on cholesterol pills but still my cholesterol is high.

SW : 270

CW :157.4

LW : 143

cabin111
on 5/12/19 8:19 am, edited 5/12/19 5:05 am

Just general concepts...No amounts. My HDL and LDL (and Lipid panels) have been good for many years...95% for my age group. For the good cholesterol (HDL) the only real thing that will help is exercise. Nothing else really can help...Except maybe hard physical work. Niacin (B-3) can help a little...But in large amounts it can cause flushing. My cardiologist recommended TwinLab Niacin. I just separate the pill and take small amounts during the day...To reduce the flushing.

For LDL small amounts of fruit (to keep me regular and to keep the blood sugar level up) is good. The rest is using more vegetables and less fatty meats. Go with more lean meats. For me (and only me) I use some protein shake, I like to have one that has both whey protein isolate and egg albumen. I make my own stews (lean steak, lentils, vegetables and spices) and eat Wendy's Chili for my fast food. I also eat plain nuts.

The last thing is to reduce my sugar and high fructose corn syrup levels. High fructose corn syrup is The Devil!! It is not my/your friend!! Also watching my breads and cereals...Going with more whole grains...Think rye crackers. Many people's downfalls are functions and parties (office and family)...Where much of the "JUNK" is served. Being mindful of that area can help. For candy I will eat 72% cocoa chocolate...Just small amounts. I've dropped down to 1-2 oz of coffee per day...A lot of sugar and sugar substitutes, but then again, small amounts. Good luck on your journey. Brian

Anita Jo
on 5/13/19 7:02 am - Elmira, NY

thank you brian,

Medicfem
on 5/12/19 11:46 am - Corpus Christi, TX

Do you have a family history of high blood pressure?

Penny the Paramedic        
Anita Jo
on 5/13/19 7:00 am - Elmira, NY

no. i dont have a family history of high blood pressure

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/12/19 4:42 pm

To raise good HDL you could start adding more Omega-3 to your diet. Things like avocado, avocado oil, olive oil, fatty type of fish like salmon would help if taken in good, rather large quantities.

Using EVOO on salads, or drizzle on food could be one way. Or eating black olives. I love avocado and as long as I remember, I try to eat 1 -2 avocado per day. The trick with avocado is for me to get them just ripe before I eat them. Costco has avocado mash, organic, in an individual small containers, just to get and eat. I keep them handy for time my avocados are either still too hard, or got bad instead of getting ripe.

Red wine can also improve that, but as much as I used to like red wine, I had to give it up. It is alcohol, and unfortunately as I was getting older, I started to appreciate the wine stress relief effect way too much. And for me it became an almost daily, unhealthy habit. Plus I tend to be able to eat more and tolerate bigger number of foods, and because of that and wine, I tend to gain weight when I drink wine regularly.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Anita Jo
on 5/13/19 7:03 am - Elmira, NY

i do love avocado's and black olives.

kairosgrammy
on 5/12/19 4:53 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Eat healthy, whole foods. Shop the perimeter of the store. Focus on protein. Avoid animal fat and instead use fats like avocado and olive oil (Mediterranean diet is cited as a very good diet for control of bp and cholesterol). Carbs should be mostly vegetables or complex carbs. Avoid bread, pasta, white rice. That's pretty much a healthy diet. Whatever you eat from the aisles should be inspected carefully. How much saturated fat? What does the ingredient list look like, you should be able to pronounce everything on the list. Eat eggs, fish for omega 3 content, you might even want to supplement. I have some form of fish every day nearly so I don't worry about it. Good purchases from the middle of the store would be tuna creations, sardines in spring water or olive oil, herring also in spring water. Yogurt is a good choice. Watch sugar, it is your enemy. If you want to make a marinara dish, Rao's has the least sugar and no sugar added. Most pre made marinara sauces have added sugar.

Well, that should get you going. Also, read the "What is on your (whatever day) menu, RNYers" You will see a lot of ideas.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Anita Jo
on 5/13/19 7:07 am - Elmira, NY

i have seen about Mediterranean diet. i really never eat bread ,pasta or rice. i was thinking to eat eggs without the yolk, i have bought Rao's sauce, its very good. i do read the RNY menu's.

kairosgrammy
on 5/13/19 9:32 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Eat the yolk. A lot of the good stuff in an egg is in the yolk. The notion that egg yolks will raise your cholesterol has been debunked.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 208 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views