Lower BMI looking for help.

tiffaneyeliese
on 5/17/11 5:23 am
I am having VSG in about 11days in Piedras Negras, Mexico. My surgeon is from the US and will accompany me in my trip. His instructor is the famed Dr. Alvarez, gosh I heard so much wonderful things about Dr. Alvarez! I am so nervous about crossing the border it’s giving me panic attacks! Is it truly safe? I am terrified! Here’s my situation…I have a BMI of 32.5 I am very little too…4"11, for someone with a low BMI is this surgery even going to give me optimal results? I want to lose 60 lbs and become a healthier individual that can get back to enjoying life again.
Hollyhock
on 5/17/11 5:31 am - VA
Don't have any particular advice, but you might cross-post at the lightweights board.

Good luck with your journey!
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
tiffaneyeliese
on 5/17/11 5:38 am
Liteweights? OKAY ...Many thanks :)

heathermc44
on 5/17/11 7:11 am - Bremerton, WA
I don't see why it can't be a success for you.  What does your doctor say?  He should be the one you should ask.  Would he be doing the surgery on you if he didn't think you would be successful?  I think you will do just fine. 

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 5/17/11 7:20 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
Crossing the border will be fine.  Will you and your doc be driving or will Rosy (Dr. Alvarez's driver) be picking you up?  If Rosy is driving you, it will be a breeze.  Even if she is not, it should not be a problem.  Just have your passports ready and be honest and polite to the guards.  Good luck Lil Bit!
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
tiffaneyeliese
on 5/18/11 12:59 am
My doc and I will cross together, I want to say Rosy will be the one transporting us to an from. Thanks for your help.
wert
on 5/17/11 9:53 am - MN
I think lightweights will do just fine. Take a look at the thread titled Goal Weight Range. If you calculate your goal weight range you'll see what I mean.

Good luck in Mexico. I don't know anything about it but if you're going with you doctor I'd say you'll be just fine.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Birdie55
on 5/17/11 9:58 am
I started out with a BMI of 31 and now my BMI is 22.8. I've lost 50 lbs and still have 6 to go to my original goal weight. My surgeon and I have discussed losing another 5 or so lbs and the BMI will be 20.9 when I get to that goal.

Just follow the nutritional goals and start exercising when you feel up to it and you can get to goal weight if you want to. It takes work and it's up to us to put the work into it to get to goal. Good luck, you can do it.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

soulfull_ladee
on 5/18/11 12:12 am
I had a question about the same thing, if you can go back a bit through the posts or my posts, I got alot of positive feedback.
SpiceyMom
on 5/18/11 12:28 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Crossing the border is such a non-issue. The hospital is maybe a mile over the border. My husband walked all around it to get meals and such. This border town is never in the news for violence issues like Juarez is. I liked Dr. Alvarez just fine. I would think the sleeve would work well for you. Most everyone passes through your BMI on the way to their goal, right?
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views