another question from newbee

justwillow
on 5/16/11 9:07 am - OR
My surgery is a day surgery, it sounds like a lot of you had yours in the hospital, anyone else have theirs as a day surgery?

LeeAnn5350
on 5/16/11 9:18 am - Patterson, NY
I am not a medical professional, however that sounds absolutely INSANE to me.  If you are going for the VSG, this is a MAJOR surgery!  Having 80% or more of a major organ removed and stapled up does or should not be considered a "drive thru" service.  I would be running as fast as I could from that Doctors office.

September903
on 5/16/11 9:24 am
Wow! I am astonished. I had a VSG and was approved to be hospitalized for up to four days. They asked if I wanted to be discharged the next afternoon and I opted to stay a second night. If you have an option I would recommend you stay at least one night. Is this their protocol or the insurance?

justwillow
on 5/16/11 9:42 am - OR
no i am a self pay but they do all of them that way unless they have health problems
msletitia
on 5/16/11 9:44 am - Jacksonville, FL
 sometime day surgeries are the same as overnight as long as you don't stay a 24 hour period..example check in at 9 am and discharged at 8..this would be considered a day surgery for some insurances

countrygolden
on 5/16/11 9:46 am - Amboy, WA
 Mine was a day surgery and it was just fine. I was a bit apprehensive about it as well. I went in around 8:00, and was released around 1:00. My husband took me back to our hotel (we went to a doctor out of our area) and he just made sure to wake me every hour to walk and sip. I had no problems whatsoever. However, my doctor did call that evening to see how I was doing.

Starting Weight-228.6, SW-221.4, CW-173 GW-125
mylastchance
on 5/16/11 9:49 am
Not me but I do think someone here had this as outpatient surgery,  they may chime in and have something to say. 

The majority of us stay at least one night and some stay longer.

This is pretty major to do this that way but hey,  if it works,  it works. 

Hope all works out for you,  just take care of yourself and do what your programs asks of you.

Good luck and good thoughts are coming your way.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

kats-mom
on 5/16/11 10:58 am - TX
VSG on 02/15/11 with
Day surgery is anything under 24 hours. If not problems, you'll be fine. They won't let you go unless you're ready! Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
   Lorraine    kats-mom
        Highest Weight-285  /  1st Nutritionist Appt-275  /  Pre-op Diet-257  /  
                               Day of Surgery: 246  /  Day Home-257

justwillow
on 5/17/11 1:24 am - OR
Thanks for all your input, I do feel kinda strange about it being a day surgery, but I know people that have used this surgeon and I guess he is one of the best.  My husband is a nurse so that is def a comfort

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views