Strength training before surgery

duckheadz
on 6/14/11 9:39 am - MN
I am about a month pre-op, insurance approval came through this past weekend and my pre-op physical is on the 28th with surgery to be scheduled about 2 weeks after that date.  My BMI is 41 and I'm 275, hoping to get down to 150 after all is said and done.  I have started working out a month ago with a personal trainer doing strength training twice a week and cardio on my own with the hopes that it will make my recovery easier and help me get on my feet and active sooner after surgery than if i wasn't working out.  I want to get FIT not just thinner.   Has anyone else worked out a lot before surgery and if so, do you feel it helped you in any way?  And how long after surgery until you are strong enough to be able to strength train again?  I am worried that all this work I'm doing will just go down the tubes after surgery when I'm too weak to work out the muscles I'm toning right now.  

Also - many on here talk about stalls or losing very very slowly.  Working out is my new passion and I plan on continuing working out as part of my weight loss efforts, and I'm hoping that working out will keep me losing and not stall out  over or lose super slowly as I go.  Any thoughts on the correlation?  

njmom5870
on 6/14/11 9:56 am
I worked out with a trainer and went to spinning class twice a week for months before surgery.  Doctor was amazed how well I bounced back before surgery.  He said I was consistently 2 weeks ahead of myself.  I went spinning the day before surgery.  I credit my working out to my good recovery. 

I went back to working out 4 weeks after surgery and went back to spinning 5 weeks after surgery. 

Since I am almost at goal, I have to work out hard to lose weight.  I did have a couple 'stalls' as people call it but those were also busy weeks that I didn't work out as much.  The closer you get to goal the more you have to work at it.  What they say about the last 20 being the hardest is an absolute fact.

I know someone who had RNY and doesn't work out and never got past 177lbs.  That is okay with that person, but not me.  I want a normal BMI.

Good luck and keep working it!
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

wls2011
on 6/14/11 11:53 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Definitely work out! I was doing 1 hour of cardio in the a.m. and 1 hour of cardio in the p.m. Plus had a trainer 2-3 x a week for 1 hour.

I lost weight pre-op, but also gained strength & endurance, and I totally believe it helped in my recovery.

From day one of surgery, I was walking the halls of the hospital...each day after that I got more steps in....At 3 weeks post-op, I had bounced back to my regular routine of at least 10,000 steps a day...At 4 weeks I was able to work out with my trainer again...she was amazed at my recovery and stamina.

There is a thing called "muscle memory" and my body just picked up where I left off, and didn't suffer for the couple of weeks of less activity immediately post-op

I'm losing at a steady pace, so far, have great energy, and am starting to see nice muscle tone, as the fat melts off.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

tristak
on 6/14/11 1:14 pm
I worked out consistently for about 6 years before surgery (mosty Curves and a place similar to Curves).  I felt my recovery went really quick and smooth.  I was up walking within 6 hours of coming out of recovery and once home I was walking my balcony slowly but still moving.  I went back to work 2 weeks post-op and my plan was to work half days the first week back - well by Wednesday I was up to 6 hours and by Thursday it was business as usual.  I started back at the gym 1 month post-op doing light cardio on the bike.  At 6 weeks I resumed very light circuit training and at 2.5 months my workouts were business as usual.  Now at 8+ months post-op I am working out 5-6 days a week doing a variety of exercise - circuit training, elliptical, treadmill and really good walking in my hilly neighborhood.  I truly believe my pre-op exercise routine was a big part of my easy recovery.  Best of luck in your journey.....hold on tight it's a great ride!

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

acbbrown
on 6/14/11 2:12 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I worked out consistently for the year before surgery. SOOO glad I did. My legs are super strong, and my core is stronger than it would have been. Makes it much easier for recovery. Im post op day 4 today, and today, I was barely feeling the soreness in my mid section. I've had some other issues, but otherwise I'd be feeling great today. Definitely having a healthy body makes this process so much easier.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views