911! 4 months out and preggo.

Tausha P.
on 7/18/11 3:05 pm - Fergus Falls, MN
 Hey guys. It's been a baaaaad week for me here. I had surgery on March 10th, and just found out I am pregnant. :-( Besides just having weight loss surgery it is a horrible situation for me to be in, in general. I know the main advise is going to be "call your surgeon". And I have an appt to go in and talk about it. But, I just want to know anything else anyone knows about my situation. I am wondering if my body will even be able to handle this right now. I am so screwed. :-( Ugh!!!! 

HW: 344 SW: 311 (33 lbs lost in pre-op diet) 
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.? ~Lao Tzu    
LittleMissSunshine
on 7/18/11 3:16 pm
Addressing only the physical aspects, I asked my surgeon a "what if" question about pregnancy after surgery and he said he recommends to hold off until 18 months post-op simply to take advantage of the rapid weight loss phase, but he said if it were to happen prior to that, the baby and I would be fine as long as I stayed on top of my diet and the vitamins.

In addition to calling your surgeon, I'd schedule an appointment with a nutritionist as well.

Good luck!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

MenagerieNik
on 7/18/11 3:43 pm
 I really think you and your baby will be fine. Your doctor will help you modify your calorie intake so that the baby has enough to grow. It will probably be challenging, but I think it's totally doable. I've heard of others who got pregnant early on after WLS and they did fine.

Good luck!

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
MrsHelm1012
on 7/18/11 5:08 pm - Washingtonville, PA
I am sure you and the baby will be fine, I do agree you need to also see the NUT. I am going to express my opinion on this, and some people might not like it, but its just how I feel. 
You are describing this as, " a horrible situation, :-(    and you are screwed." I havent heard anyone on here say that they were not warned that they would be extremely fertile after surgery. If this is not a good time in your life, why didnt you take the proper precautions? I am sorry, but, it is not fair to bring a baby into your life when you describe it as being a horrible situation (besides the fact that you just had wls). I undertand that I may sound harsh, but honestly I dont care. People need to be more careful!!! Its not like there arent options out there to prevent pregnancy. Abstinence, the pill, condoms, femal condoms, IUD.... Every baby born deserves to be given the BEST chance at life, and the way you are describing your current situation, that is just not the case. Now dont get me wrong, I am certainly NOT advocating abortion, I am someone who has struggled with infertility for many years, and suffered a miscarriage, which was devastating. I am just saying, when you are told that this is extrememly likely, and it is something that would screw up your life, be careful!!

Erica77
on 7/18/11 5:15 pm - MN
You said everything I was thinking.
HW- 398  SW- 371 CW- 224 GW- 175      5'11     27lbs lost preop

julyxo84
on 7/18/11 11:08 pm - Pembroke Pines, FL
i completely agree with everything you said.  
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

Marriott L.
on 7/19/11 12:30 am - San Diego, CA
I thought we had to be on a non f-uppable birth control in the first place~..personally..I'm on Mirena! Of course you're more furtile as you lose weight..but that non f-uppable birth control should have taken care of it no iffs ands or butts. What you said wasn't too har****otally agree.
Tausha P.
on 7/19/11 4:05 am - Fergus Falls, MN
Your response to this was not helpful, supportive, constructive OR relevant. I am not even going to validate you with my story because I don't need to defend myself right now. I am a loving mother, but I am not ignorant enough to believe that every woman who takes a pregnancy test has it planned and is elated. Girl- that's just not how it works. So here I am, I will not say this is a good situation for me- its the opposite. But I will do everything I have to to make sure its good for this baby, but that doesn't mean I am thrilled by my new cir****tanses. The horomones raging in me right now just want to tell you to get off yoru high horse and try to be helpful, and less judgemental cause you did NO good.
                    HW: 344 SW: 311 (33 lbs lost in pre-op diet) 
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.? ~Lao Tzu    
Chana
on 7/18/11 10:21 pm
Nothing is 100% effective, however, so why not give her the benefit of the doubt?  I personally have a friend who got pregnant even though she had an IUD in place.   I'm sure she'll be thrilled once she's reassured by the doctor that she can carry a healthy pregnancy.
Cristina S.
on 7/18/11 10:27 pm - New Britain, CT
Well my surgeon said in our seminar that 1 of his patients got pregnant 6 weeks out. I believe he said if that happened they would just label you as a higher risk and watch more closely.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views