Beginning stages... I have to see a gerneral surgeon next month

loveablevixen
on 7/24/11 3:12 pm - bklyn, NY
Hello to ALL!

I am in the very beginning stage in getting this sleeve done. I have to see a general surgeon to see if the VSG is right for me, as my doctors states. What is the next stage after seeing the general surgeon and thereafter?

I've read a slew of pages of everyone stories, and i have to say, you all great, and sound good, I am very proud of you all for making that step to better your life.

Can anyone tell me what is the down falls of having this VSG done? It terms, of gas, mobility. I need details...Thank to whomever takes the time and answer..
Loveable_vixen    
MediumSoon
on 7/24/11 4:10 pm - TX
Truly can't give you any down sides. The first few weeks SUCK - but that's with any surgery. Every day gets better - and this is truly a life-changing surgery. YOu have to be patient, and do your part - eat the right things and move your body - but the tool is magnificent - and WILL work if YOU do. Best of luck to you!

quintons_mommy200

on 7/24/11 4:11 pm
You're the first one I've heard say that you had to see a general surgeon first. Not sure why that would be- would think they'd send you to a bariatric surgeon..

For me, the process went like this-

Insurance required a 6 month pre op diet.. so I first went to my primary doctor and started that in January of this year.

In April, I had my consult with my surgeons office.

June, had my mental eval, another follow up with the surgeon, and the last of my 6 month pre op visits with my primary doctor.

Info was submitted to insurance June 8, got approval on June 29, and will be having surgery on Tuesday, the 26th.

I can't help with your downside question since I'm still pre-op, but I can tell you that I'm very confident in my decision, and my surgeon said he thinks this will become the gold standard in WLS because they're finding more and more with the bypass that there are too many long term complications.

Good luck!

MrsHelm1012
on 7/25/11 3:42 am - Washingtonville, PA
My surgeon is in the General Surgery Dept, but practices Bariatric Surgery. He was the last person I met. I got a referral from my PCP to the GI/Nutrition clinic at the hospital (My PCP and the weight loss clinic are in the same hospital), and thats where I did my 6 month supervised diet. I went every month and met with a NUT and a Dr or PA. During that time I had all the testing done and had other appts that were required by the program. (Psych eval, blood work, attend 2 of their support groups, etc...) After I completed all of that stuff, they submitted the paper work to my insurance (Took about 2 weeks for them to approve) and then they made me an appt with the surgeon of my choice in the General Surgery Clinic. Had my surgery about 1 1/2 months later. : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views