Please tell me about loose skin

Mermaid7
on 8/3/11 7:31 am
Hi all,
I am 224lbs, 53 yo, and awaiting a sugery consult and date in socal with kaiser.  Since January I have lost about 20 lbs. and have started elliptical and weights.  My question is:  will I have loose skin even though I am lifting weights and exercising pre surgery?  Any comments from young or old would be appreciated!
Thanks
USAF Wife
on 8/3/11 7:45 am
No one can tell you with definite accuracy.

I'm 34 and I have excess, flabby, wrinkly skin and I was fat for about 18 years.

SO, no matter what anyone else says, your skin is your skin, your genetics are your genetics, and how your body rebounds will be determined after you reach goal.

Stretched skin is damaged skin, building muscle helps fill out the excess, but no one can tell you what's going to happen.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 7:53 am - CA
 I'm 51 and a yoyo dieter and I've noticed everytime I lose my skin gets looser. I'm going to have bat wings for sure. I already know I want to do my tummy and my arms someday in the future. First I have to get through Options and get a date. I'm in SoCal too. Panorama City Kaiser. Good luck to you!!!
Mermaid7
on 8/17/11 9:56 am
Thanks for your comments Michele.  I grew up in L.A. in and around Van Nuys.  I have finished options and all lab tests.  I await the bariatric drs. call.  Kaiser is really different than other plans.  We had a very good teacher for our options class, how about you?  The thing that surprised me is how little weight I lost from Jan. to July.  Even though I gave up prossessed foods and sugar.  I barely lost 20 lbs!
Take care,
Lisa (aka mermaid7)
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 10:25 am - CA
 Hi Lisa, 
I don't start Options til Sept 9 so I don't klnow the teacher yet but I have all my appts set up to see the Dr for the next 3 months. I did like the orientation, it was pretty informative. I had my mind set to lose all this weight before surgery but getting started is harder this time than ever before.  I'm pretty excited and time is moving at a snail's pace. Keep me posted on your process, I'm happy and excited for you. By the way I live in Valley Glen.
BriarRose
on 8/3/11 8:35 am
I am 55 years old. I've been overweight most of my life, and obese for the last 25 years. I am 5' 2 and a half, and started my weight loss pre-op at 300 lbs. I now weigh 197, and I have quite a bit of lose skin -- would you like some ??? It's for sale, cheap !!!!

I have been working out to the best of my ability, at Curves since before surgery. The last couple of months, I can do alot more, due to having lost so much weight -- my arthritis is much better -- much more range of motion and I can do more.

I have turkey skin under my chin on my upper neck, where the double chins used to be; I have lovely flapping bat wings on my upper arms.(but I have muscles now too !)My thighs have quite a bit of excess skin now, as does my abdomen. But, I can do things I never thought I could do -- and I'm feeling so healthy it is ridiculous. I sleep better, and I have tons of energy.

My teenage daughter called me "the ******g energizer happy bunny." I don't think she meant it as a compliment, but I DID !!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
laurak712
on 8/3/11 9:19 am - New Braunfels, TX
Yes, probably so.  I've been body building for almost 13 years now and I had plenty.  But I had it removed 10 months ago.  Sadly, there is not much you can do for damaged skin. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

lookin4-80
on 8/3/11 3:46 pm, edited 8/3/11 3:47 pm
I was 263 a few months more than a year ago. I am now 143 lbs. I am also 53 years old. I exercise like crazy. 2.5 miles per day walking  during the week and 1 hour weights and yoga weekend days (wii fit plus). I am surprised how much skin went away. I had  mamogram last week and the lady said "No way, you couldn't have lost 120 lbs, you have great arm definition... I was jazzed..but I really do, lol.

Exercise. You have a year to loose most of what you will and the same time to loose the skin along with it.  JUST DO IT! :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views