Need input on good VSG surgeon, best price etc.

wings
on 8/23/11 9:02 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Hi all
I am a DS happy camper and my son wants to get the sleeve.  I am a nurse and I totally believe in the sleeve especially for a 22 year young man weighing in at 375-450 pounds.  

My son is just doomed for heart diesease genetically as well as diabetes.  I am looking into helping him get the sleeve and I will be paying for this. 

Mexico seems to offer good prices but I am leary of this.  Please if anyone has had there surgery out of US with good or bad experience please let me know.  I am looking into different doctors in US and Mexico. I am a research nut.  

Carla
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Rouxful
on 8/23/11 9:11 am
 Just had my surgery done two months ago at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana, by Dr. Lopez Corvala. It's a nice facility and they have a large amount of English-speaking staff. Plenty of attention from the doctors and most of the nurses were going out of their way to make sure I was a happy camper. They have private, spacious hospital rooms with WiFi and a guest bed. Their hotel is very nice (but their Internet sucks).

I paid just under $10K for my sleeve and I was down there for less than a week. They go to great lengths to make sure you're well-monitored immediately after discharge. They call you regularly and send you emails all the time. I've got a very well-made, 36 bougie sleeve that's given me no trouble whatsoever. I've not thrown up once since the surgery. Dr. Corvala's a seasoned surgeon who's done thousands of bands, bypasses, and sleeves. He's a friendly guy who's patient, but his team really advocates personal responsibility and sticking to the plan.

The Zona Rio in Tijuana was fun, festive, and friendly. Never once did I ever feel unsafe or unwelcome. I was only sad that I didn't bring my photo gear or have time to hit the beach at Rosarito. 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

wings
on 8/23/11 9:21 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Wow thank you for the quick response.  I will look into Dr. Corvala.  There are so many specials going and I want to check them all out. 

The surgeon that just did my severe ventral hernia repair is a bariatric surgeon also and he gave me a price of 13,900.  That is a 3 hour drive accros Florida for me and I would stay with my son over night and then bring him home.  He does lap. 

We figure one of the packages is for 4, 900 but we have to fly to San Diego stay the night and then we are picked up and taken to the hospital in Mexico I believe hospital Jeruselum etc.  But I can still stay with him for free. 

I think the passport and our flights to and from San Diego will bring the total up to the 13, 900 price so I am doing our homework. 

Carla
[/url]
Faye56
on 8/23/11 9:27 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with

My surgeon is Dr. Nick Nicholson in Plano, TX (Dallas area). He has been voted DFW Best in Dallas for 4 years. I reseached before I chose him. I was self pay also and pd 12,000. and that included hospital and all follow up appt. I have had no problems at 5 weeks post op. His clinic is called The Nicholson Clinic.

I wish you and your son the best outcome possible.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

wings
on 8/23/11 9:38 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Thank you for your response.  My son has his MBA in buisness so I am pulling together everyones thoughts so he can see that you get what you pay for. 

I am proving a point to him with my research.  He trust me and I believe in the end he will make a well rounded choice. 

Carla
[/url]
frisco
on 8/23/11 9:30 am

I know you DS folks like the best vetted surgeons....... If that's the case you really have to look at Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco $17k

Be aware.....the VSG is a non standardized procedure. Currently this surgery has a huge range in approach.

Your dealing with your 22yo son that is SMO...... You need somebody "like" Cirangle that has experience/success/data with SMO

I was SMO and lost 100% EW and have been maintaining near a year now.
Jimbo on this forum started at 580lbs and has lost 330lbs.

Like they say on the DS forum..... You have been warned !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

wings
on 8/23/11 9:36 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Trust me Frisco, no one touches momma's boy unless I tear them apart first.  I am looking at all angles just as I did when I had my DS. 

The sleeve is the only surgery I would be OK with for him.  I feel he does not have the committment to taking the vitamins and protien that I do. 

I just told him we are not in a hurry and to slow the heck down.  He has alot to learn before jumping under any knife.  Yes you are right, us DS ppl like Well vetted surgeons lol. 

Carla
[/url]
Nancy B.
on 8/23/11 9:48 am - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
Hi!

My hubby and I will be using Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras, Mexico...right across the border from Eagle Pass, TX.  He charges $8900 (+$500 if you're over a certain BMI) and that includes transportation from/to the San Antonio airport, one night in an Eagle Pass hotel, surgery, 2 nights in the hospital, and one more night in a San Antonio hotel....pretty much everything but airfare.  I don't have quite as far to fly as you would have, but my tickets (with Continental) are about $350 each. 

Since we are pre-op, I can't give you any first hand experience, yet.  But, we made this decision after talking to 2 people in our community that have used him and we know of several others. I've also done a lot of research and hear only good things about him and the whole experience.  He uses a size 32 bougie and does leak tests before you leave.   I can tell you, my husband was very against going to Mexico at first, but he eventually changed his mind.  We are self-pay, and if we had stayed in the U.S. would have had to wait a lot longer to be able to have it done.

His website is www.Endobariatric.com and he has a ton of YouTube videos.  His channel name is Endobariatric.  If you see an ad on these forums that say "The book is here!"...that's him.

I hope you're able to find a surgeon you can be comfortable with, and I'm so glad you're able to help your son with this.  I worry about my children, too, and hope that the two of us changing through surgery will help them.  Good luck!
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
Rouxful
on 8/23/11 9:51 am, edited 8/23/11 9:52 am
I looked into Hospital Jerusalem and I think they're more of a Clinica than a Hospital. They're small and their prices were so low they kind of scared me. 

Hospital Angeles is one of the biggest buildings on the Tijuana Skyline and it's a humongous hospital with an ER, imaging center, etc. I got a look around their OR before they put me under and saw them unpacking the new trocars for my lap incisions. Everything's big, clean, and new there.

I've heard really good things about Cirangle, though the price was far more than I could afford (I say go for it if you can!). I'm glad you're going with your son. My dad went with me and stayed almost the entire time. They put him up on the daybed in our room and gave him an extra mattress and a rolling desk so he could work from his laptop. 2 nights in the hotel is included in the package price and if you want a double room, that means you can stay in your son's hotel room for free, I believe. I should mention Dr. Corvala's team is very conservative. They want you in the hospital at least three nights and in the nearby hotel at least another three nights. You get checked on by an endless stream of MDs, as well as nutritionists and psychotherapists.

Another great thing about Mexico, is that they're in love with drinkable yogurts. You can find low-carb Splenda yogurt bottles that are sleeve-sized and perfect meals for when you're on liquids after surgery. Also, don't forget how cheap the after-care drugs will be ;)

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 9:54 am
Please avoid "Hospital Jerusalem".. you can search around for yourself here and on google, I won't go into a lot of detail except to say that there's been some very serious deficits with this group.. I'd highly advise you to avoid going there.

Price shopping is understandable in most situations, however this is one where I think it's not. The only two surgeons I'd give the nod to in MX are Aceves and Alvarez for out of country work. If there is a chance that the DS may be considered, the only surgeon in MX that has a good track record is Ungson.. DS does have great stats- yes, much more diligence on your sons part would be needed, but for high BMIs it is really worth considering.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 116 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 346 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 397 views