do you have regrets?

mooosie
on 9/2/11 8:28 pm - CT

does anyone sleeved have regrets for doing the procedure?  i know this isnt a very scientific question because those who are sorry they took this drastic step probably arent still reading the board....but im wondering if i might regret having done it.

still getting records together for approval by surgeon and hospital.  still puzzled  as to why medicare refuses to approve the sleeve gastrectomy and if that causes surgeons to not seek to improve the procedure so still reading and pondering and still cant sleep.

however, i have kept up my stated goals so that's a positive indicator....i guess 

lucy2e
on 9/2/11 9:10 pm - Laurel, MD
 I've seen a lot of first week/month regrets.  Recovery isn't fun, it can be really a struggle for some people who have trouble getting their minimum liquid and end up dehydrated.  

I have no regrets at all - I had a pretty easy recovery.  Could drink rather easily from the start.  I did get an infection along the drain tube - but some antibiotics cleared that up.  I'm happy with my weight loss (though would love if it came with a magic wand for overnight goal reaching... lol).  So no, no regrets at all.  Love the control over my diet - and the surgery doesn't give that to you, it is a mindset deciding I won'tgo off program because I deserve better than some crap food!  The surgery really just makes sticking to that resolve so much easier.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

mooosie
on 9/2/11 9:42 pm - CT
thats positive...thanks.
missjanuary31
on 9/2/11 9:30 pm - oak park, MI

bariatric surgery  is nothing that you can explain because this is a life changing decision and it seems to be the end all resolution before surgery.   However after the surgery where there is no options for exchanges or returns it can be a little over whelming in my opinion but the long term results out weigh the immediate road blocks you facing during recovery. I still have my reservations 5months after 80lbs. Sometimes i feel like i can mess this up like i have done in the past but that's why its important to have the support groups because its natural to have reservations. 

Good luck  with your journey
mooosie
on 9/2/11 9:51 pm - CT

i dont want to have the thought that looking back from the other end i will say damn, this was the worst decision i ever made.  shouldve stuck with what was doles out to me instead of trying to change it.  im saying this knowing full well that there can be complications but im saying too barring hav8ing those complications will i be sorry i did this.

please overlook grammatical messes...the editor doesnt allow me to add quote marks, parentheses etc?  i suppose if i used the mainframe computer i would be able to type like an adult but am using my sidekick....smile

...keep in mind im aware that you ca screw up and soup around the surgery and sabotage and im not talking @ that because that happens with or without surgery and nobody is ever 100percent anything....im talking about the thought ...i shoulda left well enuf alone.

thanks for yor contribution 

lucy2e
on 9/2/11 10:02 pm - Laurel, MD
 When people get nervous in the days before surgery, I always think about how with morbid obesity we are really committing a very slow suicide - we are pretty much guarenteed to die of an obesity related disease (diabetes, heart disease...) and to be uncomfortable/in pain with others (arthritis).  This surgery (depending on your surgeon) has less than a 1% chance of death, and less than 5% chance of serious complications (leak, blockage).  If I was a gambler, I go with the surgery every time - and I am so glad I did.  

In the end, we each have to make our own decision and do whats right for us - but I can now do things I haven't done for years, I am happier and feel great.  I have 70 lbs off my back and just feel great!

Good luck making your decision!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  

mooosie
on 9/2/11 10:14 pm - CT
grin.  best advice i ever read.  someone on the forun was very upset because having reached her goal she doesnt look like what she had dreamed.  im not going into this for looks.  im doing it vecause i want to be able to partake of whatever life is left to me.  right nowgetting thru the day is a major struggle .  i dont know if surgery actually prolongs life for us but it should make it easier to do things ive never allowed myself to enjoy.  one of my goals is to vacation at a dude ranch and ride a horse...grin.  i like your philosphy, lucy.  thanks
lucy2e
on 9/2/11 10:27 pm - Laurel, MD
 I have full confidence that it will extend our lives - how could it not (short of being hit by a bus cause they now can't see our skinny ass...)

I saw that post, and I understand being frustrated - but I figure the grass is always greener on the other side.  Some people will never be satisfied with themselves.  I've always accepted myself - even my fat self.  Life aint about being perfect, it's about making the most of what we are given.  I plan on loving and accepting my skinny self - even if I won't suddenly be 6ft tall (I'm 5'2") and looking like Heidi Klum!

My best advice is to stay positive - even when you don't feel it, fake it - eventually your emotions will catch up with your attitude.  This journey is CRAZY for so many reasons - hormones are on a roller coaster, WL is uneven - you will stall from time to time, you are dealing with work and family and life - a positive attitude will carry you through it and help you to succeed - even when you reach your first stall!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)

mooosie
on 9/2/11 10:54 pm - CT

in fact, my biggest regret is not pushing on right after he first surgeons gave me the royal runaround and quoted me a cash price of 35,000 for the sleeve.  then had the audacity to dismiss me from their service because of some made up nonsense and the fact that i didnt believe that the insurance wouldnt cover me....because the insurance said they did cover me if the surgeons would give the appropriate proof.  to this day, i dont know what really went on there but now ive found another, larger, center of excellence hospital in a town near a major ivy league university.  said providers have human front end office staff and an attitude of we will work with you and didnt keep m waiting more than 2 days before they said medicare wont cover the vsg.  ok1  and the cost is more than one third less than the first quote

now my question is shoul i have hernia repair done at the same time and will medicare cover that part of it? 

lucy2e
on 9/2/11 11:30 pm - Laurel, MD
 Wow - sorry about your bad first experience.  

Talk to the office staff - I would think that medicare would cover the repair work - so then maybe you could avoid paying the anesthesia expenses - they should be able to answer!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 421 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views