completed psych eval today!

Mrsdean4
on 9/21/11 10:22 am - VA
yay, one more thing checked off the to-do list!  I finished the second half of my psych evaluation today.  To say the Dr was throrough would be an understatement.  I didn't expect it to be bad because I already see a psychiatrist AND a seperate psychologist in that same office for therapy and treatment of anxiety and depression.  PLUS, I was a psychiatric RN for 13 years.  You'd think all that would have prepared me.  I felt emotionally exhausted after those 2 hour long interviews.  Then I had to take the majority of the MMPI and a seperate IQ test.  

I am a bit annoyed that the Dr said he won't have his report ready for about 2 weeks, though.  It's my last thing to get turned in.  I'm surprised it takes that long.  

Anyone else experience such an extensive and lengthy psych eval? 

Kacey

Jan G.
on 9/21/11 11:11 am - WI
YES its a very thorough test. And it does take that long to evaluate once he gets to it..I am sure he has many others before yours to complete. Try not to be too concerned..you just have to follow their recommendations if they make any. They need to assure the surgeon/insurance that you are in your "right" mind..not suicidal, can cope well and can make your own decisions.

Good luck.. you already have a good team of docs you see.. so hopefully this eval will go smoothly in your favor.

Warmly, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

mary P.
on 9/21/11 12:32 pm
Yes!

I was expecting just a one appointment question/answer type evaluation. Instead, I had a one hour discussion, then last week I was there for almost 2 hours doing an IQ test and a bunch of other testing. Tomorrow I finish up with another 1.5 hour session and then she should have the 'results' next week.

I am kind of curious about what the eval will say. I'm not worried about her not recommending me but I'm curious about what kind of things will be in there. The psych specializes in eating disorders/body image issues so I guess I should have expected it to be more comprehensive.

Just happy I'll finally get to check it off my list!
roundater
on 9/21/11 12:57 pm - Lincoln, NE
Not as lengthy as yours but jumping through the hoops is definitely the hardest part of preop. It took me 5 months of haggling from seminar to surgery. Be persistant, keep at it and your day will be here before you know it.
Rich Sonderegger

AMoody
on 9/21/11 1:04 pm - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
I have already took my psych exame, it was about 1 1/2 hours long, dr and I talked a little bit then did some answering some questions on acomputer, sat in his office about 5 minutes and he told me he gave me the approval...and then 2 weeks later I got the letter he sent to insurance....
Good luck with yours..
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views