Revising to RNY

Kaysmommy
on 9/24/11 12:17 am - Silver City, NM
Well I got my VSG July, 25 th, and 2 months out and have no other choice but to switch to an RNY. I have had a stricture since day 1, and have had it dilated 4 times and the stricture will not go away. After 2 months of having to live with a feeding tube and multiple surgeries and EGDs I am done. Next week I go in for a complete RNY conversion. I chose the sleeve because of so many reasons, and I am so scared of the RNY and to have to live with it. but I wanted to say goodbye to this board, I havent been real active in the last 2 months for obvious reasons, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who answered all my questions.

Aimee
ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/24/11 12:20 am
I am so sorry for the complications you have had.  I for one don't think you should say good bye to the board.  I am preop and your story is important to me.  Your recovery and success and journey with the revision to RNY is equally important.  If you wouldn't mind telling more in detail what you have gone through...I think it's important to hear.  Thanks and best of luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Kaysmommy
on 9/24/11 1:14 am - Silver City, NM
Thank you, I am really a rare case, and everything that has gone on is very rare.   My main caution to everyone now is know the risk of any surgery and be prepared just in case.  I woke up from my VSG with a stricture.  My new tummy was swollen right away after surgery.  I was throwing up even a tiny sip of water.   So about 5 days later they finally gave me an upper GI Xray and found my whole stomach was totally closed off, and nothing was getting past my esophagus.  So I had an EGD where they dilated my stomach, and then sent me home a week after surgery.  So as I was on the liquid stage I was keeping stuff down for about 3 days.  Then all the throwing up started all over again, I ended up back in the ER with dehydration, and very weak.  Thankfully one of the residents on my case was making rounds in the ER when I came in.  I was admitted right away.  After another GI tracking my stomach had closed completely back up again.  I was taken into another exploratory surgery to maybe do a fix, or a mini gastric bypass.  But when I woke up I had a feeding tube and a drain tube in place.  I was to swollen to do any type of work on, and they had to place the feeding tube so i could get some nutrition in me.  A couple days later I had extremely high heart rate and high fever.  I was rushed for a CT scan and had a PE(blood clot), and was sent to the ICU.   A couple days after that severe pain and redness at one of my incision sites, and drain tube site.   I had developed an infection and now still have it open and have to pack it till it heals properly.   I have had my stomach dilated 4 times, and throwing up is constant whenever i drink or eat anything.  At this point i wish I never chose to do WLS, but hopefully soon after my next surgery goes smoothly, I will change my mind.  Spending over a month in the hospital is so hard, and I dont wish this on anybody, but I guess it has to happen to somebody.   Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  
Crystal M.
on 9/25/11 2:54 am, edited 9/25/11 2:55 am - El Paso, TX
I'm so sorry you're going through this. How terrible for you. I don't have any helpful advice for you, just my sympathy. I know things are going to improve for you as soon as they do your revision surgery.

PS... I just noticed you're in the same city as I am. If there's anything I can do to help you, even just visit you in the hospital, please don't hesitate to let me know. I haven't yet used the private message tool, but I will try to figure it out and send you my phone number. Best of luck!

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 12:31 am
I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time. I hope the revision is successful and you get the results you need. sorry to see you go. Good luck!
Marcia B.
on 9/24/11 12:33 am - CA
why leave you can join and RNY board and stay here too... we are all in this together :) I chat on an RNY board on another website and no one differentiants WLS is WLS :) Good luck and I hope it makes you feel so much better
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Kaysmommy
on 9/24/11 1:16 am - Silver City, NM
Thank you ladies.  I keep telling myself this will go great.   I dont plan on leaving OH, I love this place.    
MyOwnSunshine
on 9/24/11 1:39 am
I'm so sorry you've had so many complications.  I hope the RNY gives you a new problem-free start on your weight loss journey!  A lot of people are very successful with the RNY and have no problems, so just embrace your new process.  Good luck!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
MrsHelm1012
on 9/24/11 1:41 am - Washingtonville, PA
I am sorry you have had such a rough time... My Hubby is actually in the OR right now assisting with an EGD  .  I really hope things start to get better for you soon. Good luck with your RNY!! I agree with everyone else, you dont have to leave the VSG board!! You are more than welcome to stay!

J.e.t.
on 9/24/11 1:49 am
 Oh, wow, you've had SUCH a rough time. I'm so sorry.  Please don't be worried about the RNY--so many people have been so successful, and for long periods of time.  Anything is better than this!  I'm assuming from your user name that you have a child, and I can only imagine how hard this has been for you dealing with your own needs and those of your babies too. :-(  Of course you should keep posting here!  Post wherever you feel comfortable!  Your cir****tance could happen to any of us, and our surgery type shouldn't divide us.  I'm sure you'll receive a warm welcome on the RNY board too.  Hugs to you, and best of luck with the surgery.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views