What to expect during surgery-ladies only

Mermaid7
on 10/1/11 8:52 am
Hi.  My surgery date will be soon
, but I was wondering what to expect during surgery.  What part of the body are they actually dealing with-only the abdomen?  I as\k because I am wondering if I should wax things or not?  Do I get to wear my pjs?  I read someone on here that spo\ke of a catheter.  Does everyone get a catheter?  Ladies
, please tell me and prepare me so I have less humiliation.  To tell the truth
, anyone having to deal with this abdomen I feel sorry for-not a pretty sight.  I guess some people loo\k good big
, I am one that does not.
,LOL
toramartin
on 10/1/11 8:59 am - Kingston, GA
Well, I wondered the same thing and yes your total abdomen will be exposed.  I had to wear the hospital gown, I think everyone does.  They cover your bottom area with a blanket.  I did not have to have a catheter because I had the sleeve done.  I don't know if others have to have a catheter or not.  Once the drugs kick in, waxing is the furthest thing from mind.  I was going to have everything done before I went in but I decided that I should make that a gift to me after the first 30lbs or so.
SharieL
on 10/1/11 9:01 am - LA
 I had the RNY on Wednesday I had to have a catheter and the surgery was less than an hour. So prepare yourself. I have 5 incisions. 2 close to my belly button, one in my belly button and one high on my abdomin and the other middle ways of my stomach.  Not really that bad. They don't hurt at all. The first day my belly button burned alittle but that was it. 
Giving God all the Glory

edelu
on 10/1/11 9:06 am - los angeles, CA
I had a catheter for the first day i requested it.  your on an iv after surgery and I'm a pee-er.  water n water out.  i was very glad of it.  here's the thing.  the doctor and operating staff are bariatric.  they are used to looking at obesity.  they don't care.  they don't even notice it in all probability it's their everyday job.  yo will have a gown for easy access for staff and Dr's to look at your wounds and your output.  Don't worry about looking good.  No one looks good in or after surgery. your abdomen is uncovered, they cover your breasts and below the abdomen but they do all that when you are out.  you will have your gown in until you are out.
J.e.t.
on 10/1/11 9:09 am
 I have no idea, I was out like a light.  And frankly, I've chosen not to think about it too much. ;-)

I had no catheter, they had me pee right before surgery, and I had been npo overnight.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

rosapain
on 10/1/11 9:28 am - Amityville, NY
You  look great dont think about that just think about 3or 5 months from surgery you will be healthy. I just came home, and I was surprise to learn that a catheter was attached to me.I was like omg they did not oh yes they did,but listen thats life he or she has seen worst got over it.I dont think you use your pjs until its remove so after the leak test,which the worst taste of my life thank goodness  it was just 2 or 3 sips.So I would say your entire body /specifically your torso to the feet. no pain very little gas it was a walk in the park but as you know it affects us all differently good luck and stay positive
Hislady
on 10/1/11 9:36 am - Vancouver, WA
I didn't have a catheter because my band surgery was only about 45 min. and nope can't wear your pjs. Everything in the surgical suite has to be sterile and they aren't, even if they are sparkling clean. I wouldn't shave or wax as you do not want any kind of open cut or skin irritation that could cause infections. In fact it "could" cause delay of the surgery for it to heal so don't even bother. Trust me they've seen thousands of naked bodies and they could care less, all they are interested in is giving you a successful surgery! Just relax and enjoy the great sleep you will have while you are under!
Kayla M.
on 10/1/11 9:57 am
I had to have a catheter. I had it for about 12 hours post op too. I hated that sucker.
You'll have to wear the hospital gown into the surgery. You could probably choose to wear your PJs post op, but I know I didn't feel like dealing with the bending over to get pants on (I had an open procedure if that makes a difference). Plus I had some oozing for the first day or so. I wouldn't want that on my PJs
You could wax, but I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, the staff in the OR isn't going to care.
lucy2e
on 10/1/11 9:59 am - Laurel, MD
 I had the VSG - and yes, I had a catheter.  It stayed in the first day, which was nice since getting up and down was painful and I was knocked out cold most of the day!  

Remember, these people specialize in operating on obese patients - they are used to seeing our bodies, they will not be phased by seeing your stomach (my surgery team survived my stretch mark riden beast!)  Once you have the surgery, you won't be humiliated - you will be far too sleepy and sore to care if you don't look your best!

You may not think you look good big, but boy are you gonna rock skinny!  Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Jackie00
on 10/1/11 10:00 am
VSG no catheter
Was up and walking about 3-4 hrs after surgery when I finally woke from my little nap after surgery.
I seen a video where they prep you with bottom half covered and the breasts up are covered. I think they are basically looking at the screen while working inside of you so I wouldn't worry about being all fancy.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views