Having other stomach surgery plays a factor on having your sleeve done???

loveablevixen
on 10/6/11 12:43 pm - bklyn, NY
I had 2 C-sections, gullstones removed,  Am I still considerd to be sleeved????

My PCP says that its up to the surgeon, cause having all these surgeries play a factor...

Also, seeing another Surgeon on the 26th of Oct, and all my other appointment there after. The last appointment is on November 14th. how long does it takes to get an approval and surgery date after all these mandated appointments??
Loveable_vixen    
IndyVSG74
on 10/6/11 12:55 pm, edited 10/6/11 12:55 pm - IN
I had a c-section with my daughter and there was no discussion of it being any kind of issue. My c-section scar is extremely low on my belly, while my VSG incisions are above my belly button.
~Megan
Sleeved 8/10/11

nursejessica
on 10/6/11 12:56 pm - Gillette, WY
I am nurse who works in surgery....  we see people all of the time who have had other abdominal surgeries. 

Its in your favor that nothing was on your "stomach"....  just in your abdominal cavity.  You could be prone to scar tissue, but I do not think it will hold you back from VSG. 

Good Luck!

loveablevixen
on 10/6/11 1:00 pm - bklyn, NY
Okaaaaayy! Feel alittle relieved.. Thanks guys!!! Mwuaahhzz!!
Loveable_vixen    
HogRider
on 10/6/11 1:01 pm - Jacksonville, FL
 I'm going out on a medical limb here - but yes.  I shattered my pelvis in 2009.  I had surgery 4 times to fix it.  I had my gallbladder removed about two weeks later.  I shattered my left clavical and two surgeries to fix that.  All within 3 weeks.  I was sleeved last Friday.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
Jessica O.
on 10/6/11 1:12 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
I told my surgeon I had 3 cesareans (2 being vertical incisions), gallbladder removal, and vertical cesarean incisional hernia. At that point I was wanting to get the RNY. He said because of the possible tissue scaring, he might have to do an open RNY or the Sleeve.
So yea, the vertical sleeve is a better option for patients like us who have had prior abdominal surgeries. .
Jessica O.
on 10/6/11 1:23 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
Ooo sorry, didn't answer your second question. Your length of approval depends on 1) how quickly your results are submitted from those required appointments and 2) how long insurance takes to approve your surgery.
For my personal experience, I've just completed all required tests this week and last. I'm waiting for my primary doctor to fax the hospital all my medical clearance tests. Once my hospital receives all the results, they will submit it to my insurance. Luckily, I've heard that my insurance normally only takes a week to approve. But it could be three weeks...I won't know but I will make sure that I call nearly every other day to see if they have heard anything back.
After I get my insurance approval, they will schedule to meet with my surgeon and then I will receive my surgery date at that appointment. Even now, I have no idea what my surgeons schedule is like. They only perform surgeries twice a week.

Keep an open mind, try to remain patient, and always follow up with phone calls to make sure nothing is being held up.
Kayla M.
on 10/6/11 1:34 pm
The only difference I could see as a possibility would be lap vs open. Excessive scar tissue might make your surgeon more likely to do an open procedure.
loveablevixen
on 10/6/11 4:44 pm - bklyn, NY
Thank You so much! i want to be sleeved, this is NOT AN OPTION.  I see through many OH MEMBERS some are suppose to have other procedures done but then come out with the sleeve. If they cant sleeve me, close me back up...Lol...

Thank You so much...
Dawnie 88
on 10/6/11 9:28 pm
I have had 3 csections..prior to my sleeve...no issues..

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views