FAvorite Protein drniks? Please share!

lovetoread
on 10/25/11 10:11 am - East Amherst, NY
Hello!

Preparing for my two week full liquid diet after my VSG on Nov. 1st. Does anyone have any suggesions of great protein drinks or those to stay away from???
TexasProud
on 10/25/11 10:26 am - Frisco, TX
I'm having surgery nov 7 and I've been trying a few out. The unjury is pretty good and lower in calorie than most. It comes in vanilla, chocolate, vanilla and unflavored (to add into soups, yogurt, pudding, etc). I've tried a couple of the nectar brand. These are less "shakish" and thinner like punch. Good! I tried Oh, Yeah, too. VERY tasty but too high in fat I think. I also ordered samples from mybariatricpantry.com. You can get the nectar from there, and I also ordered a coffee lovers sample kit that is tasty from there, too.
Good luck to you!!

nilesmama08
on 10/25/11 10:47 am - Atlanta , GA
Hello,

It is great to see someone on OH from WNY. I am orginally from N. Falls,NY.

I would request samples from various companies. Some places have free samples Bariatric Advantage, Celebrate).  Don't go overboard! Your tastes change a lot after surgery! I loved various shakes pre-op and now I hate thick protein shakes due to diarrhea post-op.  I drink fruit juice protein drinks.  Health-wise, bariatric pantry, and etc. are great brands!
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
k__
on 10/25/11 11:08 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

I tried Isopure and Unjury. Couldn't stand either of them.  I drink a Premier Protein chocolate shake every morning for breakfast.  You can find it at Costco.  They recently started carrying Vanilla, but that flavor I found over powering.  Everyone's tastes are different.

Happy Camper
on 10/25/11 2:51 pm
 Premier protein drink in chocolate is my favorite!!

Mom4Jazz
on 10/25/11 11:14 am
I like the GNC Lean Shake ready to drink Chocolate and Strawberry.

In powder, a cheap favorite is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey in chocolate. A 2 lb jug is $14.98 at Wal-mart. I add 3/4 teaspoon of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa to make it richer. Or add some peppermint extract (a little dab will do you - 4 eye-dropper drops in an 8 oz shake) to make it taste like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Or get some PB2 powdered peanut butter to mix in (all the fat is removed) to make a peanut-butter cup shake.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Charlie S.
on 10/25/11 11:43 am
I tried Unjury, like it for mixing into soup/broth, but not shakes.  My wife loves the Chocolate Truffle Nectar, but I think it is too sweet.  I live on "Lean Body On The Go, Chocolate Ice Cream" shakes.  They have 25 grams of protein.  To give it more flavor, I like to add a tablespoon of PB2 or a tablespoon of sugar free banana pudding powder.  (Chocolate covered peanut butter or banana)

But, as previously stated, your tastes will change after surgery, so don't "stock up".  Some of the stuff I liked before surgery, I can't stand now!

Good luck!!!!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

MyOwnSunshine
on 10/25/11 11:55 am
I like the Premier Protein Chocolate from Costco -- it's my go-to staple first thing in the morning.

I did start to get tired of it a few weeks ago, and since I can start having coffee again, I ordered some BSN Lean Dessert Protein to make protein coffee once in a while.  It is good, but it is really thick, so it might not sit well right after surgery.

The next one I'm going to order is Syntrax Nectar Pink Grapefruit -- I had ordered samples of the Nectar flavors from Vitalady, and of course, Pink Grapefruit was the very last flavor I tried, and definitely my favorite.

Vitalady will make up sample packets of most of their proteins, and they only charge $1-2 dollars a piece, so order a bunch of samples and see what you like.

As far as those to stay away from, my NUT gave us guidelines for what is appropriate carb/protein/calorie wise at our pre-op class.  I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but look for high protein, low carb, moderate to low calories.

Good luck with everything!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
tinybus2
on 10/26/11 3:30 am - TX
The best tasting shake I have tried is Beachbody (P90X)...the chocolate is totally WOW! A little/no alot pricie but so dang good.

Good luck!

lovetoread
on 10/26/11 9:28 am - East Amherst, NY
THANK  YOU so much, everyone! I have made a spreadsheet of your likes and dislikes which gives me a lot of good ideas of where to go initially!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op