Alittle Skeptical about surgeon..

loveablevixen
on 10/25/11 11:26 am - bklyn, NY
Done all my test except for the sleep apnea & Pulmonary. However, I've been researching my Surgeon for quite some time. His name is Dr. Georecki from New York Methodist Hospital. When i research this doctor on here, It states he does the VSG, but his patients that left feedback stated they loved their Gastric Bypass or Lapband. Not ONE VSG patient who left any feedback. When i researched him on youtube, he ONLY discusses Gastric Bypass & LapBand, should i be concerned?

I will see Dr. Gorecki tomorrow morning, I'll have ALL my questions ready. Let me ask you all the most stupid question, EVER! How do you know the surgeon you pick to is highly qualified?

Thanks in advance!!
Mom4Jazz
on 10/25/11 11:32 am
Many surgeons didn't start doing the sleeve until recently. I ran into that with my surgeon and checked VERY carefully on how he planned to perform the surgery plus talking to several of his patients. He did a great job, but I wanted to know that going in, not after the fact.

There are surgeons out there doing some wacky sleeves that don't give good restriction and results. Make sure he's doing a nice tight sleeve (not just bougie size, technique like how close to the valves at top and bottom they go - leaving a lot of stretchy tissue there is worse than a slightly larger bougie). And make sure you have a chance to talk to some post op sleeve patients - support group was a good way for me to do this.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Cindy22706
on 10/25/11 11:35 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Its the same for my surgeon, I havent met him yet and everything (feedback) is about RNY, its fine. Once you meet him and you are still skeptical I def would not continue with him.
Charlie S.
on 10/25/11 11:35 am
My very first question for him would be "How many VSG's have you done?"  Then I would ask about incidents of complications. 

Have you ever had anyone with a leak?
Have you ever had anyone with an obstruction?
Ever had someone with a bleed?
Ever had to re-operate to fix a problem?
How comfortable are you with the VSG? 
Where did you get your VSG experience?

Now to state the obvious...  If you aren't COMPLETELY comfortable with your surgeon, DO NOT let him/her cut you open!!!!  I went through 2 different surgeons before I picked the one I trusted.  (The third was my choice)  I can't say exactly what it was about him, but I liked his personality, liked the way interacted with us, liked the fact that he seemed genuine.  My wife went to see all three also.  She went to a different session than I did with him, and we both picked him independently of one another.  

If you aren't sure, look around and see what your other options are out there.  It is always worth it to take the time (and money if need be) to check out all of the Drs in your area until you find someone who you trust.

Good luck!!!!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

loveablevixen
on 10/25/11 11:43 am - bklyn, NY
Thank You, My PCP referred me to this surgeon. Im still researching on my OWN of another surgeon. Still indecisive, thats the libra in me. Lol. Well, im still strategically doing my best.
Mr-Smith
on 10/25/11 12:22 pm, edited 10/25/11 12:24 pm - Hillsdale, MI
You need to ask the following:

1.  How many total VSG's have you performed? The closer to 300 the better
2.  How many have you had to convert to an open procedure? the closer to zero the better
3.  Please describe the technique you use to determine the size of the sleeve.
      A little note here, many of the problems you read about with post op's are due to the surgon inadvertantly creating a non uniform sleeve. this creates a lot more subtle issues that I think most think are normal post-op recovery issues.  The norm should be drinking without to much issue by the second or third day.  Many struggle for weeks. What most surgons do is use a boughie on the inside to guide the staple line on the outside.  The problem, is that the anatonmy of the inside of the stomach isn't symetrical with the outside so what may look uniform on the outside is infact not so in the inside.  My surgon used an endoscope so he could inspect the inside and the outside as he made his staple line.  His practice has very few issues, no strictures and no issues with swallowing or nausia. My recovery was pretty easy.
4.  Ask how he ensures no leaks and tests for leaks.  How many leaks has he had?
5.  How does he do pain management?  Morphine pump, OnQue or other
6.  How does he close your incisions, steristrips, glue, staples or stiches.  I'm a big fan of the glue!
7.  What post-op VSG specific support does he have
8  Has he had to do any dialations on his patients
9. What is the average stay for his VSG patients.
10. What are his practices VSG weight loss results like
11. Almost forgot, how many VSG patients has he have die and what were the root causes of those deaths.

sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 12:29 pm
Aside from the questions already suggested (and they are important ones to ask), it is also helpful to ask who trained your surgeon in the VSG - especially if he only recently started doing the VSG.   Then look up that surgeon, and find out what his patient's success rates are.  Obviously your surgeon could now be doing things differently, but it is just one more piece of data you can use to evaluate the quality of your surgeon's training.

If you are going to a teaching hospital, ask if a medical resident would be assisting in the surgery, and if so, how much of the procedure will he or she perform?  Just good info to know...

I liked the question about asking what kind of sleeve he formed.  Mine actually drew me a picture to illustrate the shape he'd make it.  Also asks if he oversews the sleeve - oversewing helps reinforce the staple line but also makes the sleeve a little tighter.

I'd ask about the post-op diet progression as well.  Personally, I get leary of docs who have patients just flying through the stages.  I had nothing by mouth for almost two days after surgery, and was on liquids for nearly three weeks after, and I really believe that helped my stomach rest and heal and let me take in more fluids and protein drinks in the beginning than many people are able to do.  That's my unscientific thought, but one I thought I'd share.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Ms Shell
on 10/25/11 12:56 pm - Hawthorne, CA
The VSG is way way way simpler then the complexity of an RnY so I wouldn't be worried about staple line etc.  I would find out the most important thing for ME is HOW he measures your VSG for instance a size bougie or double sewn staple line etc.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

SC629
on 10/25/11 1:24 pm - CA
 It is a simpler surgery, but with the staple line being waaay longer than in the RnY,  the risk of a leak is greater, and a sleeve leak is a far more serious complication than an RnY leak.   The first doc I saw explained that she didn't do sleeves for this reason, and advised me that If I was set on the sleeve, I should find a doctor who had done hundreds of them and who had a very low leak rate.  That is just what I did. 

Ms Shell
on 10/25/11 1:33 pm - Hawthorne, CA
From everything I researched just sounds like a surgeon not comfortable with their skills which is a good thing they referred you out.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views