What you regret before surgery?????

loveablevixen
on 11/11/11 6:26 am - bklyn, NY
Hello Oh Family,

What are the things you'd wish you done before surgery?
metime
on 11/11/11 6:40 am - chesapeake, VA

no regrets ....I ate everything in site though  lol

loveablevixen
on 11/11/11 6:50 am - bklyn, NY
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo scared! I am doing my pre opt now. i have 5 more months to go..
caseyandstephy
on 11/11/11 7:14 am - OR
I deeply regret not losing more weight pre-op. I had to do 6 months of visits, and only lost ~30lbs. I wish I had done more just so I could have been that much closer to goal.
Stephanie K
SW: 280.3 | CW: 176.6 | GW1/2/3/4: 250/210/199/160
M1: -24.6, M2: -13.2, M3: -10.7, M4: -15.8, M5: -4.5, M6: -11.6, M7: -6.7, M8: -8.8, M9: -5.6

1/3 Goal: 8/24/11, G1: 9/23/11, 1/2 Goal: 10/28/11, G2: 1/19/12, G3: 2/6/12

janielynne
on 11/11/11 7:32 am
Yes it is hard not to be scared.  But trust me, this will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself.  We can all tell you that it is major surgery, and it will be tough for the first few days post -op.  But trust that all of that will pass, and you will feel great in a few days.
All of the friends you make here on OH will help you thru everything.

I only wish that I would have had my surgery sooner, only I would not have been able to have the sleeve years ago. 

I wish I would have started a exercise routine before surgery.  I have been doing well with my workouts.  I only wish that I had the money for a personal trainer.  Oh Well !!!  Get your self a workout partner, so that you will push each other, and stick with it.  It is so easy to talk yourself out of it some days.  If you have someone to go, you will not want to skip the gym.

Good Luck,
Remember that we are all here for you..

Jane

JUSTTAMARA
on 11/11/11 7:41 am
 I wish I had started a exercise routine.  I think if I had started before the surgery I would be more motivated to workout now.

On my way!!

felinemommy
on 11/11/11 8:05 am - NH
I don't drop in often these days, but I am over 2 years out and consider myself one of the many VSG successes!

I can tell you the things I DID before surgery that served me well on my journey:
Read everything I could..........when I arrived here on OH, I went back and compulsively read all the posts!  (There were fewer on the VSG board back then though!)  I also collected and studied all of the various surgeon post-op guidelines.  Don't limit yourself to the VSG board either, there is a lot to be learned
from those on all of the boards!
I bought and started wearing a good quality pedometer, which I wear to this day.  It got me moving and is a super tool which helps keep me accountable EVERYDAY!  Besides my tiny tummy, it is the single BEST tool I utilize!
Starting logging intake on one of the on line tracker sites (I like the Daily Plate.)
And I started practicing the rules of post-VSG diet:  protein first, small bites, chew well and eat slowly, no drinking and eating at the same time.  The drinking and eating thing was the one thing that I thought I could NEVER achieve, but CANNOT even think about doing today!

Finally, really work on accepting that this is ONLY a tool!  While there is NO DOUBT that you will lose weight initially, whether or not you lose ALL the weight you desire AND maintain that weight loss, depends on making permanent changes in diet and activity!  Use the first year to create NEW HEALTHY HABITS!  (This gets easier post op, but you should start practicing pre-op.)

Good luck to you...............it's a fantastic and wonderful ride!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

loveablevixen
on 11/11/11 8:24 am - bklyn, NY
Wow! Thanks Oh Friends! Very informative.

I have a tough time then most. 1. I broke my pelvis, hip, leg, knee and wrist a 1 1/2 ago. 2. Its tough to excercise and 3. I dont know how or where to start. 4. I seen the surgeon but, im feeling iffy about him. On the net, he ONLY discuss gastric bypass and lapband, but on his resume, he dose the VSG. When i seen a month ago, he had the book for  gastric bypass & Lapband BUT had the VSG HIDDEN to me. Waiting to go to his meetings and meet other VSGers and see what they say.

abrown8434
on 11/11/11 9:40 am - VA
The only thing I wish I had done was come to this decision sooner! That and the last week before surgery not have freaked out about having this done! It is a change and a lot of things can go wrong but the way my life changed--even from day one--was worth any thing I have went through after surgery.I am only 7 weeks out, closely approaching week 8, but my life has dramatically changed in such a short time. I know this was the perfect tiem for me or else it would have happened sooner, but I am just so grateful everyday for this opportunity and just wonder from time to time what the difference would have been if I had done it sooner.Best of luck to you! And if you are not comfortable w/ your surgeon definitely go to someone else. This is to important and serious of a procedure to not be 100% comfortable and confident in the person you are putting your life and future in the hands of.

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 11/11/11 9:56 am
I agree. I would like to have done this when I was younger. I'm 41 but feel like I lost my 30s to being overweight.
HW - 275  SW- 226  GW-150  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views