I'm Hungry

lovetoread
on 11/15/11 9:30 pm - East Amherst, NY
Hi eVeryone -

Got sleeved two weeks ago and I am starting to feel really hungry. I'm on pureed foods this week and I am not recognizing the feeling of fullness that I thought I would (except twice...and then it was obvious I ate/drank too much at the same time!).

Yesterday I felt ravenous for food - any suggestions??
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

SassyItalian
on 11/15/11 9:39 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
some people lose their hunger, some dont

some things to consider:

1. acid mimics hunger, are you taking your PPI acid controller? if not you should seriously consider starting something like protonix.

2. Are your mushies more carby than proteiny? Beans, mashed potatoes, thinks like that high in carbs can leave you feeling alot hungrier than if you were eating mushed beef or chicken.

3. You will most likely feel fuller when you start regular food. Dense protein really fills you up, i mean straight meat. 11 months out I still get stuffed from 2oz of meat. For hours. Its no joke. Mushies can tend to be more slidery so they may not fill you the same.

4. try not to eat and drink at the same time, its tempting but it leaves alot less room for food and washes the food out of your stomach quicker, leaving you hungry sooner.

5. Follow your plan first and foremost..but for me eating every 3 hours kept me from getting that 'empty' feeling.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

AmberK
on 11/15/11 10:01 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Great Advice!
What did you eat after surgery and for how long? I have no clue as to what the diet should be after surgery.
SassyItalian
on 11/15/11 10:15 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Amber-
Do you have a surgery date? Your doc does alot of VSG's, many of his patients are on the boards so I imagine as you get closer to surgery he will give you his specfic guidelines in writing.

If you want some idea of what to expect here is a link to the Cornell VSG diet. All of our docs do things a little differently, but the main focus is always protein!

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/3630-cornell-diet-gu idelines-for-weight-loss-surgery/

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

AmberK
on 11/15/11 10:23 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Thank you!  I will look at the website! 
I am going in Dec. for the seminar. I already have all my stuff for insurance. I am taking that to the seminar, so they can submit it to insurance for me. 
I am hoping to get an answer in Jan. 
I am a teacher so I would like to have it over spring break, but I'm scared something will go wrong and that maybe I should wait until summer??? What do you think? I am 29, 240, and have no health issues. I do smoke, and I have decided that I have to stop that NOW!!!!! 
thanks for all your help and info. 
camietam
on 11/16/11 1:48 pm - Ceres , CA
To Sassy-
Thank you for the link. I have read several of your posts and you have a lot of good advice. I am having surgery Nov. 23 Lap-Band to Sleeve.
Camie
Camie

Dianal63
on 11/16/11 12:08 am
awsom advise, must follow, or else you have problems, i am not hungry at all, but i am staying to the golden rule !!! PROTEIN, PROTEIN, .... no water 30 min befor/after very important !!! you can do it, good luck
diana
Happy966
on 11/16/11 12:58 am

I started feeling hungry once I was on pureed foods.  This is not uncommon.  You are not going to feel restriction until you can eat denser foods.  I still get hungry before every meal, but it's not like it used to be, and most normal people do get hungry without overeating or throwing themselves off a bridge.  Right now I drink one protein drink in the morning, and eat three food meals every 3-4 hours after that.

Sassy has given you some great suggestions.  I can only add that I have always had an unusually strong reaction to hunger.  I've had to do a lot of talking to myself about it to calm down.  Like, "no one has died of hunger between lunch and dinner."  I feel like managing my hunger responses were beyond my capability before surgery.  Now it feels very doable.  It used to take a lot of food to satisfy me once I got hungry.  Now it doesn't.  Since it doesn't take so much, I can eat more often and not get crazed.

I also feel like drinking helps more with the hunger than it did before surgery.  Good luck!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

lovetoread
on 11/16/11 1:14 am - East Amherst, NY
Thank you so much, everyone!!! I've just felt like I needed to scarf that 2-3 tablespoons down so that I wouldn't collapse from hunger. I'll keep in mind that I'm not going to die from hunger if I eat slowly and to try to have protein at each meal.

Pureed tuna fish for lunch!!!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

TexasProud
on 11/17/11 9:48 am - Frisco, TX
Hi,
I'm on pureed foods, too. I drink an 8 oz protein shake one to three times a day. I will also eat some pureed soup if I find myself hungry. Most of the time I'm not hungry. I thought I was going to be eating/drinking 2 oz at a time, but they told me that I could make an entire shake and drink that...even though it may take me 45 min. to 1 hour. I've also noticed that if my soup is a little thicker, it fills me up FAST. Sometimes I add greek yogurt into the soup, too. Gives it a kick!
Hang in there!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views