This is Harder than I thought it would be!

lovetoread
on 11/26/11 7:44 am - East Amherst, NY
Hello out there!

I'm not really complaining - just recognizing that this is harder than I thought it would be. As a new VSGer, I survived Thanksgiving (NSV!!!), but it was hard to have 1/4 cup of turkey with gravy and 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes when for my whole life I have been a big eater. Eating so much less, and eating it slower is definitely a struggle.

I felt miserable in BJs yesterday with all of the holiday food around. My diet is still quite limited so there were many foods that I know I will not be ablet o enjoy for some time yet. I know this is partly because I was hungry - I still have to work on eating at regular intervals throguhout the day so that I am not feelin famished sometimes - but I got a cup of coffee to just have something to sip and was able to make it home to have turkey and mashed potatoes again!

And I am deep in the throes of my first stall. My weight is up 3 pounds from last week.
I know from everything i read here that the stall won't last forever but I would like it to go away, please!!!

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 8:06 am
No words of wisdom from me. Sorry! I still have a week and a half before I'm sleeved. I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm sure the stall will end soon. Seems like everyone goes through them. I'm expecting them, too. Hope you can cheer up soon!
katier825
on 11/26/11 8:08 am
It gets easier as time goes by. It's a good idea to keep something with you to eat when you are out and about. Sometimes I'll just eat a couple of bites of a protein bar, or some crackers. It's usually enough to hold me over until I get some proper food. You are right about the stall...it will go away. Just keep doing what you are supposed to do! Hang in there!
September903
on 11/26/11 9:44 am
You sound emotional, which is okay. It's also common after this surgery. Please recognize that you are mourning your relationship with food... And it's a real mourning. Identify it, be honest with yourself about it, and it will make this entire transition easier. You will be fine, just stay focused on your goals and what caused you to make this commitment in the first place. You will be just fine...

scorp2413
on 11/26/11 9:58 am - orchard park, NY
Hi East Amherst! Orchard Park here! :)

Thanksgiving was hard but I made myself busy when everyone started to eat by refiling the rolls, gravy etc. This way when I sat down they were half way done. Tonight I had trouble eating slow when we were out to dinner. My husband eats so fast that I have to slow myself down just so I don't try to keep up with him. It is hard to only eat a little because I feel that I didn't touch anything. I have already seen many NSVs and this is what helps keep me focused.

lovetoread
on 11/26/11 10:28 am - East Amherst, NY
Thanks, everyone!

I am sure that I am mourning my relationship with food....I guess I should just admit to myself that I really, really miss eating food the way I used to, while realizing that the price I was paying for enjoying that food was NOT worth the pleasure I got from it.

I'm sure it will get better and that the scale will move again, too.
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

Paige V.
on 11/26/11 10:35 am - Gainesville, FL
I was sleeved on 9/14 and I can tell you, I now feel normal. Sure, I dont eat as much..but I feel normal other than that. Thanksgiving was hard on me too, but I allowed myself one bite of everything I wanted.....and it was just enough =) 

(hugs) It will get better, I promise.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

abrown8434
on 11/26/11 11:45 am - VA
Well Ilovetoread you are better than me because I was STRAIGHT COMPLAINING!!!!

Now I do thank God for an uneventfull surgery and the weight loss which was faster than what I have been doing preop HOWEVER,  . . . like I tell those who ask me, this is NOT what anyone thinks it is who has not had WLS!!!

We are on what I call the "ulltimate diet". There is a constant schedule and order of things that you MUST do--vitamins, supplements, protein, low carb, low fat, low calorie and exercise--and not complying can lead to death or malnurishment. This has to be done for LIFE with no day off.

It is a fight everyday to do the right thing and eat optimally so you feel your best and have energy and stamina. Then, even if you do everything to the letter, you still have stalls and may have entire weeks where you are not losing a POUND! What can you do, eat less? NOT, because you don't eat anything as it is!!!

After all that, all I can do is tell you to hang in there, do those things that you know are right, stay hydrated and exercise patience (you will learn how to). Eventually, the loss will pick up and you will become comfortable with your "new normal". Oh, one of the best tips I did learn on this message board is to underfill your sleeve. I definitely had a big problem eating slow enough and taking small enough bites until I throw up a few times. That was enough incentive to slow down!

However, underfilling my sleeve has helped tremendously because my food digests and I don't have throw up episodes. If I can usually eat 2 oz I attempt 1 1/2 oz and then I'm fine. If I feel I want to get in that other 1/2 oz I wait until at least 30 mins later.

I hope this helps,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

lovetoread
on 11/26/11 1:04 pm - East Amherst, NY
Thank you for your supportive posts, guys!

I have been told to eat 1/2 cup at a time (I might be able to eat more, but I'm measuring so I don't go over that amount!). I'm still on soft foods so I don't feel the restriction I thought I would feel - just like a sensation higher up in my chest and a feeling like I have to burp......I'm sure this will eventually become the "new normal" for me.
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

emdesq
on 11/26/11 1:58 pm
I'm a few months ahead of you, and I feel the same way.Sometimes I miss my old BAD habits! But every day, I see the positive changes in my life as a result of my weight loss, and that makes it a little better.  And it gets easier to stick with the program the further you go with it. 

And, oh yeah, the stall will pass in time!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 229 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 305 views