Hard not to drink before, during, and after meals

monicav
on 12/7/11 12:27 am - UT
Hello Everyone, just wondering if someone out there has any suggestions for me on how to STOP drinking before, during, and after meals. I sip on my drink while I eat to feel my mouth moist while I eat, but there are times where I can actually give it some good swallows. I have noticed that I get full with no more than 2 oz of food when I eat. Is drinking the problem as to why I am getting full to quick? I completely forgot why my doctor told me to avoid this before, during, and after I eat.
Elizabeth M.
on 12/7/11 12:38 am
yes u get full faster. and what the drinking does is basically wash your food out and u wont get full or the nutrients from the food. i use to set my timer for when i got done eating for 30mins and then get something to drink. while u are eating dont have ur drink with u at the table. hope this help.good luck to u
Mrs. Hopeful

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 12:39 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Move your drink away from you?  Go pour it out?  If its just plain old not available you have to think about getting up to get it.  I used to set a timer for the 30 minutes before and the 45 minutes after eating to drink and not fill my glass or have it far from me with the timer in front.

How far out are you? 2 ounces should be enough to make you full. For me, drinking while eating makes food back up in my throat.  No good.  Drinking may definitely be the cause for you getting full quick, but 2 ounces is a decent amount for a meal time (depending on how far out you are, I forgot to check). 

Eating on a dry stomach helps you to feel full longer, and for me, not drinking for a while after helps me to feel full longer and with still being a hungry type person, this is a plus.

Course the drinking during - for me I dont relish food backing up in my throat, so that is a no brainer for me!
gonersmom
on 12/7/11 12:42 am
How long ago was your surgery? I've sipped during meals since my first meal post-op. Like you, sometimes I just need to clear my mouth of the taste and make it moist.

If the 2oz is a dense protein that's pretty normal if you are further out. Shortly after surgery that 1/4 cup of mushy/soft food (which again is 2oz) used to stuff me. So, IMHO it seems you are right on track, with or without sips. Just remember to keep it as sips, not gulps. I use a 2oz shot glass of water just to keep me on track.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
onemoretry
on 12/7/11 12:50 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
This is going to be a hard one for me as well. I have not had surgery yet, but have been trying to practice and man, is it hard. I think I will try what Brandilynn said and just not have it at the table. I have a few months to work on it, I am hoping to get it together before surgery.
Dawnie 88
on 12/7/11 1:13 am
the first 3-4 mths postop i could still sip with meals..and i did..but then everything changed...

I cannot drink anything..when i eat..because food comes right back up my throat..and it causes pain if if i do..and i throw up..so for me..i cannot drink and eat.  I can take a few sips before eating..but nothing during or after..for at least 15 minutes

Lisa J.
on 12/7/11 3:22 am - OK
I thought that not drinking with meals was going to be THE Hardest, but found out that you really cannot do both very successfully, as the other gals have mentioned.

If you picture your stomach like a funnel and drop some chunks of protein in there, liquid COULD get through the spaces. It will make it fuller obviously, and it might make you sick but you're the only one to know how it will work for you. Just simply NOT having it at a meal should help a bunch. But I also know that dry mouth feeling and how much I hate it.  Taking a couple tiny sips isn't going to kill you, but if you want the protein to do its job, do not drink, drink.

The ONLY time I drink is after I've had something I shouldn't have like Pringles....I'll wash that away with no problem. I still wait a little and don't gulp but I do drink. Down the hatch!! LOL
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
monicav
on 12/7/11 4:18 am - UT
I had surgery 11/5/11. So almost 5 weeks ago. I just started eating normal foods on Saturday like my doctor said. I am slowly eating things but I only get about 1 to 2 oz everytime I eat (NOTHING). It is just so frustrating not to be able to drink.
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 4:22 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
well.. you could be on a PICC line and not get to put ANYTHING in your mouth!  So, learning not to drink is a habit that is a challenge to break, but you know.  Better than nothing!  :}

And friend, 1 to 2 ounces is ENOUGH for a small tum at 5 weeks out!  I promise! 

If your meat is dry, why not try some greek yogurt or salsa on top? 

Welcome to the revision bench!  Soon this irritation will be in your rear view mirror and there will be more exciting things to fuss about!  :}  Until then, this is what we got!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views