Pain killers a year post-op

Disappearing Me
on 1/14/12 8:56 am - Murphysboro, IL
Hi all!  I've been so busy with school and work that I just don't check in much anymore.  Anyway, good news is I'll be a year post-op in a couple months and I've lost over 100 lbs!  I still have a little ways to go until goal but I'm getting there.

So here's my question, I'm wondering about the effectiveness of painkillers after surgery.  I have injured my back and am currently taking narcotic pain killers plus a muscle relaxer.  They are supposed to last 6-8 hours, but here's the thing.  I find that they start working very fast and I feel great for awhile.  But the loopiness wears off after an hour and the pain comes back within 3-4 hours.  I'm wondering, is there any way that it's wearing off a lot faster than it should because of my sleeve?

The main reason I'm wondering this is because I noticed a similar effect with alcohol.  I don't drink much, but  after half a glass of wine, I'm pretty tipsy but then it wears off very fast, too. I thought maybe there's a correlation between the two.  Any ideas? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 9:22 am - CA
I notice this with booze, too. One drink and I'm nice and drunk and the next minute (so it seems anyway), I'm sober.
HogRider
on 1/14/12 10:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
Take you pain killer after eating some protein. That will slow down the digestion some and give it a chance to fully absorb into your system. I agree with the alcohol so I just keep drinking. Takes care of it wearing off to fast.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
VeronicaJ5
on 1/14/12 10:49 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
I can take one every four hours or two every six... I always opt for the one I figure if it wears off in three I can wait an about hour in pain unlike if the two wear of in four now I got two hours to wait... Can you half your pills and take them every three hours?
Texasteacher68
on 1/14/12 10:51 am - TX
 I'll be 4 weeks post-op on Monday and I'm wondering the same thing with my ambien. I've always slept through the night when I take it. Since surgery, I have no problem falling asleep but wake up 3 hours later. I'm wondering if it just leaves my system quicker since being sleeved.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views