Meeting protein goals w/o shakes

phine_20
on 3/27/12 6:25 am - GA
I am so sick of protein shakes. I want to meet my protein goal of 60 grams, my calorie goal of 600-800 and carb goal of under 40 without any protein shakes.  Does anyone have any menu suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!
Jennifer H.
on 3/27/12 6:39 am - TX
VSG on 01/17/12
I meet my protein goals without shakes. I couldn't stand the taste of any of them post surgery. I do have a Carnation Essentials(no sugar added) some morning, but it isn't a protein shake per se.

I eat 3 oz. of lunch meat, or lean ground beef. I have been eating grilled pieces of pork loin and fish fillets as well. I use one 5 oz container of greek yogurt to make a dip(ranch, vegetable, etc) and I eat special K cracker chips with it.

If I drink carnation for breakfast, that's 13 grams,
pork(3 oz) for lunch that's 15 more grams,
Fish fillet(4oz) for dinner, that's 21 more grams,
dip for snack(7 grams) and a cheese stick(8 grams).

That's 64 grams. I don't bread the fish so the only carbs are milk sugar in the drink, and carbs in the crackers and cheese stick(again milk sugar). MFP says its 39 grams of carbs. Some days I have more than 40 grams of carbs, but that is a normal day in my life.

tabrielle10
on 3/27/12 6:49 am
Are you pre/or post op? 

USAF Wife
on 3/27/12 6:47 am
4 meals a day, each meal minimum of 15gr of protein. I ate tons of chicken, tuna and egg salads made with greek yogurt and the ranch or italian dressing dry packets.

Breakfast was an egg with cheese chunk
Lunch was some sort of cheese with deli meat or chicken/tuna salad
late lunch more meat cheese combo
dinner was the protein portion of whatever I prepared for my family and a few bites of greens

For some variety, I'd eat chili occasionally. A lot of my meals were crock pot meats so I could get in 2-3oz of meat to hit my protein goals.

I did from month 2 to 6.5 months out that got me goal. I never used shakes because I developed lactose intolerance with milk and a whey protein intolerance. Soy proteins were disgusting.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

jule R.
on 3/27/12 8:08 am
VSG on 01/31/12 with
I drink 1/2 cup a shake a day but I really already have my protein in with food and here's how:

B: 1/2 cup egg beaters =12g protein
1/2 slice american cheese singles=2g protein
S: 1wedge laughing cow cheese fresco&chipotle=2g protein
L: 3oz light tuna=24 g protein
1/2 tbsp mayo
S:another cheese wedge=2g protein
D: 3oz cooked ground chicken=22g protein
1/4 c LF 4 cheese mexican shredded cheese=8g protein

72 grams of protein from food..624 calories
then if i have 1/2 c protein shake made with FF milk I can add another 16g protein which totals 88 and adds another 111 cals which totals 737 for the day.

(I make the ground chicken for dinner a lot- I blended an onion and green pepper and use about 2 tbsp olive oil and cook it, then add the ground chicken and add pepper and paprika.. mix it well while its cooking, drain any extra oil and then serve myself 3 oz of this with 1/4c shredded LF cheese. It tastes great and is filling.) I also use the MyFitnessPal app to check everything I eat and it gives you the calories as well as carbs and protein. It has been a lifesaver! Hope this helps!

emelar
on 3/27/12 8:35 am - TX
Fish - low calorie, high protein, tends to sit well in the stomach.  You can bake a piece in your toaster oven with whatever seasonings you like.  Chicken cooked in the crockpot.  It'll stay moist that way AND if you add some veggies to it, you have some nice veggie soup with chicken broth - win/win.    Greek yogurt - very high in protein, very easy to get down.  You just have to work on what kind of fixins you need to add in to make it taste good.
IndyVSG74
on 3/27/12 1:22 pm - IN
I'm with USAF Wife, I got away from shakes as quickly as possible. Like her, I do some sort of egg white/egg substitute with cheese for b-fast (I like a 1-egg omelet with 2% cheese, tomato, mushroom and sometimes a small amount of canadian bacon or turkey sausage). I try to get at least 3 oz of meat for lunch and dinner, and that typically gets me to my 75+ grams of protein for the day, as long as I have some sort of protein snack. I make buffalo chicken dip (hungry girl recipe) and have that for snacks.
~Megan
Sleeved 8/10/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views