How far could you walk 3 days post op?

Somayeh
on 4/21/12 2:27 am - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
 Hey guys,

AfteI am planning out my trip to have VSG in Belgium. I am wondering how self-sufficient I'll be in the days following the surgery. My surgeon's office offers an all-inclusive package to include hotel + taxi service, but I'm pretty self-sufficient and feel like I might be able to make my own plans at a lower price. This is where your experience & insight would be invaluable!

I have a few questions for the veteran grads and the recently post-op:

1) The day after surgery, how far did you feel comfortable walking? The hospital is 2 blocks (0.4 miles) from the train station, and I am wondering if it is a reasonable expectation that I can walk this distance post-op. Currently, I can walk this distance without a problem pre-op. But that's without the fatigue of liquid diet + surgical trauma weighed into it.

2) How much jostling around were you comfortable tolerating? I may need to take a 30 minute train + bus ride to and from the hospital during post-op days 2-4. Will I be okay being jostled around on public transport?

Your insights will be invaluable =).
Thanks,
Somayeh
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
AnnMarie
on 4/21/12 2:49 am
VSG on 04/10/12
I honestly do not believe anyone can answer this accurately, except for yourself, after you experience it. You will have quite a few variables to work with: the liquid diet, the trauma of surgery, the pre op travel, anxiety, etc etc etc. I would over plan rather than underplan. I generally bounce back really well from surgery but there just isn't any avoiding the fact that your body has experienced major insult, and will be stressed.
I could easily walk after surgery but there is a huge difference between getting dressed and walking down a street than shuffling around a hospital ward. My advice is to be conservative Best to you!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

INgirl
on 4/21/12 3:08 am
Everyone will be different, and this is major surgery- despite the 5 tiny incisions.. so keep that in mind.

Day after surgery, I was only able to get out of bed for short very slow shuffles down the hallway every couple hours.. (I was in-patient in the hospital for 3 nights, and needed every speck of it!) I could not do what you have planned the day after.. I can't fathom this surgery as outpatient! Heck the worst day for feeling sore and hurting was day 2~ as meds had worn off and swelling had really set in.

Jostling would hurt.. I flew home after three full nights in the hospital. I was disconnected from the IV after two nights (needed that for hydration as there was no way I could get in enough fluids to stay hydrated..) I walked the airport ok on my pain meds, though a tad slower than normal.. and was able to sit and stand, with soreness.. no lifting at all. But yeah, anything that makes you contract your ab muscles=sore/hurt. So jostling should be kept to a minimum for a bit.

taffycanuck
on 4/21/12 3:40 am - Saskatoon, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12
I completely agree with you!  I had my sugery with the same surgeon as you did, and on the same schedule, and I was feeling exactly the same way that you did. 

Jaybee766
on 4/21/12 3:13 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Whoa - I'm wishing you the best of luck!  As everyone has said - everyone is different but since you asked my experience I'll share.  3 days post op, I was home and was able to walk up and down the hall in my building 2 or 3 times.  By the end of the week I was walking slowly on the treadmill for about 1/4 mile.  The next week, I was up to 3/4 mile.  I really wasn't jostled.  Standing from sitting or laying down was a challenge and required a pillow for assistance.  I probably wouldn't have ridden on a public bus or train.  Car rides were ok if there were no potholes.  Good luck!
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

Stayce
on 4/21/12 3:20 am
VSG on 03/28/12
I was very fatiqued after surgery and tired very easily until 1 week Post-Op. I was able to get up and walk the Hosptial floor with no problem, but I couldn't imagine having to get up and grab a train or walk somewhere that was a great distance.

I lived in Europe for 6 years when we were stationed there and if it were me, I would probably pay alittle more for the all-invclusive. Sometimes trains run late and there are strikes on all public transportation once in awhile, tends to happen a lot from now through Summer. You could probably walk the 2 blocks, but you'll find that you want be able to move as fast as you did. This happened to me, I would tell myself move faster, but my body and feet would say NO!

Hope everything goes well for you!
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
Phatchick
on 4/21/12 7:43 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Hi Somayeh,

I am so excited for the new journey you are about to partake in.

I just was sleeved on Monday and Tuesday is a haze due to the drugs. I can tell you, I had to walk from the wheel chair to the EGD area in radiology and it was a challenge to stand in different positions while they took pics of my sleeve to verify there was no leakage. Later I had to wak around the unit and it was not easy. Day 3 was much easier for me. Walking 2 blocks unassisted is doable but it may be difficult.

The more jostling I had the more nauseated I became. I do not  think this is common though. I always have a bad couple days after surgery due to anesthesia issues. I think as long as you are jostled sitting down you will be fine.

God bless you my dear. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sharon

Flo75
on 4/21/12 11:45 am
VSG on 02/29/12
I was able to walk just fine after mine. I had to walk two airports my 3rd day after surgery, since I went to Mexico for mine.
Everyone is different though, good luck.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views