Soup Help

bluemems
on 5/21/12 1:00 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I am in the phase III  (soft diet) part right now.  My paperwork says soft foods but it sounds like some call it the puree phase.  Anyway, it says to look for high protein reduced sodium soup.  I'm confused because all of the ones I find have chicken or beef, and generally some sort of pasta.  I cannot have chicken, beef, or pasta until phase IV (modified regular). So what are some soup ideas that I can have at this point?  Just getting really tired of tomato and cream of chicken.

sutherngrl94
on 5/21/12 1:08 am - Raleigh, NC
I would try cream of mushroom if you want soup.  I'm on the soft diet too and can eat foods like bib lettuce, low fat cheese, low sodium deli meat, and flakey fish.  What did your NUT say about this stage for you?

bluemems
on 5/21/12 1:13 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
For the phase I am in now, I can have tuna, fish, beans, soft cooked vegetables, canned fruit, soft cooked egg whites.  i don't keep in touch with a nutritionist (was layed off right before my surgery, so had to tighten the belt and only use the paperwork they provided and this board and friends that have had WLS surgery).  Next Monday I can start having noodles, chicken, beef, etc.  just odd the keep saying high protein low sodium soup when all of those have a meat and or noodle that I cannot have this week.

Jenfur
on 5/21/12 1:42 am
VSG on 06/25/12
My NUT told me that they are not using the puree phase anymore because they want us to practice eating as soon as possible so it goes from clear liquid, full liquiids and then soft foods.  My surgery is scheduled for June 25 so I'm doing  alot of experimenting right now with different things and trying to prepare, I have a crock pot full of chicken broth cooking at the house right now to see how it comes out and if I like it so I don't have to buy canned stuff.
Jackie00
on 5/21/12 1:47 am
You could try making Elinas green chicken soup and puree everything. It is really good too BONUS. Or make your own soups.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

econtiff
on 5/21/12 2:34 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 I would buy some cream of broccoli and baked potato soup from Panera and blend them. Each bowl was like 4 servings for me so I didn't mind splurging. Since it's only like 2oz, your carbs are also fairly low. Around 10-15g per 2oz.

I also did the cream of broccoli from Subway a few times. 

I actually couldn't tolerate tomato. Made me too gurgly. I did make my own tomato to reduce the carbs instead of canned when I did try it. 

I wouldn't recommend even starting on having pasta. Focus on your protein. Do you have cheese? 
I like the cracker cuts or just buy a block and cut off a little square. I can't eat a full slice at one time. I haven't tried Babybel yet though. 

Good luck!
CheeseLover
on 5/21/12 2:48 am
VSG on 02/16/12
My doctor recommended potato soup (blended kinds), nacho cheese soup, and cream of mushroom/chicken when I was at that point. I remember just drinking a lot of protein shakes because I got sick of the tomato soup (which is what I ate mostly because I love it). Check out the organic/specialty soups that come in the cartons, a lot of those are smooth. I found a smooth potato-leek that was to die for.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
bluemems
on 5/21/12 7:30 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Thanks everyone - I actually had broccoli cheddar soup today at Applebee's - it was sooooo good.  Couldn't keep that in last time I had it, but this time was fine.  I think I might even try crab cakes this week.  I eat so slow it isn't even funny. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views