I'm back and I need advice and help!

Andibabe
on 5/21/12 10:17 pm - Sharonville, OH
Hi,
I used to be fairly active on OH for about a year after surgery. Then I kind of got away from it, and so did my eating! I still maintain my 160 pound weight loss. Yay, me! But I NEED to lose more, and I haven't lost any weight in about a year. The good news is that I haven't gained any weight, either. And I am thrilled that  about that.

However, the longer I'm at this weight, the  more I realize that I won't be happy unless I can get  my excess skin removed and be out of the plus sizes. Sigh. It's time to get serious again.

So I need some advice. I still have good restriction. I can eat an entire Lean Cuisine sometimes, but often that's too much. My problem is (and always was) nighttime grazing and wine. I don't eat the junk I used to eat, but you can still eat too many calories quite easily by eating non-junk food.

Anyway, should I try to do the super low-carb plan? Should I try to do 800 calories? It's one thing to do that right after surgery when eating is really hard. But now? I'm not sure that's realistic for me. Anyone lapse and then come back? What have you done?

Also, any advice on how to stop the nighttime grazing?!
Happy966
on 5/22/12 1:05 am

I have not lost as much as you have, so congratulations!  And yay for not gaining!!  That's a great accomplishment.

I have had my share of lapses and getting back on track, mostly pre-surgery but also post.  When I am trying to get back on track, I spend a few days detoxing, abstaining from the foods I need to stay away from, and keeping the carbs as low as possible because they make me hungry, and hunger is not my friend, ever.  I am not strict about the calories during this period, but very strict about the quality of food - maximum nutrition, nothing junk.  Depending on the problem, it might also be tend to be a little boring, but food I like.  I don't need to get too excited by yumminess in this state.  Most Lean Cuisine's are too carby for me - the rice or pasta and all.

My experience is that every day of clean eating makes the next one easier, boosts, my confidence, makes it all seem more possible.  Then I can deal with calories, etc.  I don't know if you can do 800 calories - if you are eating junk and drinking some of your calories, you might find that 800 calories of protein and fat are pretty filling.  Maybe that number will be higher, but you can sort that out after you feel detoxed from the carbs. 

OK, here's my advice on how to stop the nighttime grazing.  First, you have to find your willingness to give it up.  Is it there?  Just for today?  If not, why?  Are you hungry at night?  Do you need a snack, more structure?

Not matter what, pick a time - a reasonable time based on your dinner and/or snack time - and do not eat after that time.  Do whatever you need to not eat after that time, one day at a time.  If it's tonight, maybe you will need to go to Walmart, or go for a walk, or call a friend.  Maybe you will have a SF vanilla chai latte.  Just do whatever you need to do to get through tonight.  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.  As you get further from the troubling behaviors, the easier not doing them will seem - even though that's hard to appreciate in the moment.  It might be very difficult tonight.  But it won't always be that hard, and you just have to get through tonight.

I have to find my willingness, and start there.  Usually, my first job is to sort out my willingness - it's not always clear.

Hugs!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Andibabe
on 5/22/12 1:21 am - Sharonville, OH
Thanks for the advice. This is a great post. I love everything you said. The willingness issue is huge because I have lost a lot of weight, so I kind of have been feeling "done." And it's so much more  pleasant to not be trying to follow a food plan, that I keep procrastinating. Yet I'm not really done. I don't want to be done either.

I think coming back to this board is going to be helpful. I'm thinking of it as a first step.

Anyway, I love what you're saying about detoxing, and also about doing things in the evenings. I think I'm going to make a plan for tonight so I'm not just sitting in front of the TV. What's the saying? If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
Lee ~
on 5/22/12 1:47 am - CA
Congratulations on maintaining an excellent weight loss!  I can tell you what worked for me.  We had surgery pretty close together.  When I got to the one year mark, I still had another 20 pounds to shed.  I was scared that I was done and I wasn't going to be happy until 100 pounds had come off my small frame.  I had started eating more carbs over the holidays and it was tough love to get rid of them again.  I had to ask myself daily which was more important, the carb party in my mouth or shedding the 20 pounds to get me to 149.  I wasn't eating a huge amount of carbs but I don't lose on 50 carbs.  I had done low low carb many times pre-op and decided to just quit messing around.  I lowered my carbs to 20-30 a day and kept my protein over 80.  My calories had crept up to 1000 so I pulled them back, just to 900.  It's much easier to do lower calorie when you're eating protein and veggies. A few berries was a big treat.  I didn't want to punish myself, I just wanted to get the weight off.  I also made sure to exercise at least an hour a day.  I mixed it up with walking, pilates, yoga and zumba.  I got friends to take classes with me to keep it fun.

For nighttime grazing, I kept everything that called to me out of the house because I've never been one to leave home to find food.  I also made sure to eat enough dense protein to keep me full and satisfied until morning.  If I remember correctly, I kept Lucerne (Safeway brand) frozen fudge bars in the freezer.  Under 100 calories and 3 net carbs.  When/if I wanted something sweet, that was my go to.  It always did the trick.  Much less carbs than a Weigh****chers frozen fudge bar.

Be honest with yourself about what works. The only one you're fooling is yourself.  Post often and help others on the path.

Visualize yourself in the clothing that you want to be wearing.  Treat yourself to a mani/pedi along the way.  Come up with things that make you feel great about yourself that are not food related.  Take pictures of yourself often and revel in your progress.  Go try on new clothes whether you purchase them or not.  I want to shed a five pounds.  I'm going to go try on Bikini's today to keep me motivated to try to do that.

Love yourself every step of the way because you deserve it.  Go look in the mirror and say something wonderful to yourself.  Recount your best attributes.  Be strong and vibrant because you have already accomplished what was a huge hurdle in your weight loss journey.   You can do this!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Andibabe
on 5/22/12 1:53 am - Sharonville, OH
 Thank you! That is great advice too. Recently I was trying to think of things that were more fun/exciting than having another slice of peanut butter toast (my common snack at night), and I remembered how much fun it was to try on clothes at night. Before, as I was losing weight, I loved opening up my closet and trying on old clothes and seeing them go from too small to too big and then having to decide whether I could wear them now or if I should throw them in the charity pile. You've reminded me about that!
Lee ~
on 5/22/12 2:09 am - CA
Attagirl!  You're on your way to shedding your next pounds!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views