Attn Vets-How did stopping shakes affect your weight?

Crissy327
on 8/10/12 11:31 am - NC
I was wondering if it made you regain some or lose more from cutting calories. My weight loss seems to only happen if I am getting in my 70 grams of protein each day. I wonder if people in maintenance still need to drink shakes and/or maintain that high of a protein intake to maintain their weight.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
acbbrown
on 8/10/12 11:34 am - Granada Hills, CA
 You should be getting at least 70g of protein even in maintenance whether it comes from shakes or food. I chose to have shakes simply bc I love them but I definitely don't need them for protein since I'm usually in the 100-120 g range. 

There was a point where I was worried I mIght gain weight from them bc I loved them soo much and was drinking too many cals. I backed off and have one a day now. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Crissy327
on 8/10/12 11:43 am - NC
Thanks Allison!

It's good to know what you are doing. I was trying to post this on the maintence board too but I am not sure how to access that board.

Anyway, thanks so much for your input. One day is working for you, sounds good.!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
tripmom02
on 8/10/12 11:47 am - NJ
 Don't know I haven't stopped them and I have no plans too, I need to hit over 100 a day to keep up with my lifestyle and there is no way I can do that without them. My morning shake only adds 140 cals to my day. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Crissy327
on 8/10/12 11:51 am - NC
Wow! So you still drink them all. Would you mind sharing how many you drink on an average day?

I have always drank 3 a day myself but am not sure if I should keep that u*****t to maintain.

Thanks for your advice!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
tripmom02
on 8/10/12 12:28 pm - NJ
 I do one shake every single morning, then have a protien packed lunch (usually chicken breast etc), and a protein dinner. If I have not hit 100/120 grams from those I will usually have another shake before bed. I always drink one after a heavy workout too, so some days I have just one shake and some days I have as many as 3. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Crissy327
on 8/10/12 12:47 pm - NC
Cool. Thanks!

I really don't count my grams of anything, I just drink 3 shakes a day and I know I have at least my 70 grams for the day. He He

So do you drink more, less or the same as you did during the losing phase?
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Mom4Jazz
on 8/10/12 12:11 pm
I'm at 16 months and still have a couple a day. Tried at about 4 or 5 months to give them up because I thought I "should" but really struggled to get my protein in - was eating NOTHING but protein foods. So after about a month I said the heck with it and never looked back.

I like the fact that drinking shakes means I can eat vegetables. I eat at least one straight vegetable only meal and one straight fruit only meal a day.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Crissy327
on 8/10/12 12:56 pm - NC
Wow! You do!!! Good for you!

I am trying to up my veggie intake. I am not the best at eating all this healthy stuff. It has worked out well for me but I decided I need to up my intake of healthy foods since I don't eat much in general. So, I have been trying to have a salad for lunch most days of the week. I can't say I make that goal very often, but it's my goal anyway. He He 

Thanks for letting me know about your protein shake intake too. I am with you on the if I eat all my protein, I don't have room for anything else. I like being able to eat a varied diet and my shakes have allowed me to do that thus far.

I guess I will just keep doing what I have been doing and see if I keep losing. At some point I might need to change something to stop losing but for now 3/day works fine.

Thanks for your input!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Carmelita
on 8/10/12 2:17 pm - Four Corners, NM
shakes .. anymore when Im on the road/traveling...once in a great while at home
I still rely on protein supps to get in my numbers.
Since "I" literally have to force myself to eat meat anymore...fish = I supplement w/  krill oil ...works for me.

I still throw a scoop of compatible flavor protein powder in my am coffee.
 in my cheerios, a carbmasters/greek yogurt, a sf pudding , oatmeal, etc.
Ive put unflavored or soy in salads, chili, homemade salsa, guac, cooked veggie dishes....any way I can sneak it in ,-)
I do get some proteins from ..complex carbs I eat...but not don't eat enough to keep my protein at minimum 63gs..(gender, age, normal activity...I aint no triathlete so don't need more)...I only had my tomach chopped off...I don't need the protein as high for repair I once needed. 

there's no reason to supplement with protein shakes IF you are getting it from diet...meats, eggs, dairy, complex carbs.
Alls that added liquid protein does is add calories...liquid calories won't sate ya,  when yer in maintenance.

protein your body does NOT need just converts to glucose "gluconeogensis" and is stored in adipose fat..fuel/food for future use. 

For female in maintenance...calculate your protein needs..
Take your current weight...divide by 2.2 (kilograms) than multiply by 0.8 (protein)...that's the amount in grams of protein yer body needs daily. The min, number to get in.   More if you are building muscle, a bodybuilder type ATHLETE. normal activity/exercise does not matter. 

Then you can do what 46_11 a VSG dietician does to calculate protein for ICU pts..based on a STRESS response, you'll get a higher protein number than ^^ .~ 5gs (weight of 5 stacked dollar bills ,-) 

Take your ideal body weight  divide by 2.2 (kilograms) multiply by:
0.8 for normal everyday needs...no stress  
1.0 for increased stress
1.2 for super stress, surgery/repair, illness i.e.

that's the amount of protein intake your body needs daily.

HTH!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views