really struglling, 11 months out

Mrsdean4
on 10/12/12 11:15 am - VA
I was sleeved on 11/28/11.  I am down over 100 lbs.  I developed kidney stones and had a kidney blockage which led to an abcessed kidney, sepsis and an emergency surgery and ICU stay back in August.  I am happy to report that I am feeling 100% better and am over all the scary health stuff.  No damage to the effected kidney, thank goodness!

I am eating terribly and grazing, eating junk and more than I should.  I haven't been tracking.  I feel completely lost and out of control.  

I know what I need to do is STOP and begin anew.  Go back to the basics.  Do liquids for awhile.  Proteins first, slow down.

I am really worried that I am able to eat more, and more often than I should be able to.  Is this most likely a mental issue?????  I mean, what are the odds that my sleeve has somehow stretched?  

Someone kick me in the pants, please!

katier825
on 10/12/12 11:32 am
Hi,

I am nearly 2 years out and can relate to your situation.  Luckily I am only a few pounds above my desired weight range, and I am working towards getting those few pounds off.

I do not think the sleeve "stretches" out.  I think the issue is more of WHAT you are putting in it.  Some things (usually the bad things) go down way too easy.  It can be hard to get back on track.  I know for me, the issue is more of a problem at work than home because at my job, all they do is eat and it's all the crap I need to stay away from.  I told my boss I was going to put up a "please do not feed the admin" sign!  LOL

I don't think going back to liquids is essential, but it can help you get a jump on detoxing from the carbs I suppose.  For me, if I cut out the extra carbs and just mainly have protein for my meals, it helps.  Also be sure to consider what you are drinking (smoothies, alcohol, high calorie/carb drinks, etc.).

Get back to tracking your food!  It helps put into perspective how far off track you were and where you need to adjust.  Measuring or weighing is helpful too.  I know I have to because I can not gauge proper portion size...it's amazing how it can "grow".

Hang in there!

happyteacher
on 10/12/12 12:26 pm
 I am 10 months out, so not quite so far along.  I have had a few times where I wonder if I stretched out the stomach, but it just comes down to what you eat.  I have had to go to liquids only a couple times since the summer due to illness, and each time the sleeve handles it well and I notice the restriction full force once I am able to get back to solids.  

I think tracking will be critical for you.  Also, find a new hobby to get excited about to get you thinking about something other than food.  Exercise is hugely hellpful for me to keep grazing at bay.  

Good luck, and do not let yourself put those pounds back on!!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

texasrigdiver
on 10/12/12 1:28 pm - TX
DS on 11/29/12
I've done all the requirements so far. The research that helped me select the VSG. The cardiologist who wanted more than the echo cardiogram the surgeon wanted so I got the full stress test. I've met with the nut. blood work is done, insurance requires a psych test which is scheduled for this coming Tuesday. When I read the two post above it makes reconsider VSG. One of the main reasons I selected the VSG is that, as I understand it, it's supposed to affect the nerve in the stomach that produces ghrelin so you FEEL full by eating very little.

Mrsdean4, do you not feel full after eating a correct sized meal?

One of the things I plan on doing is not throwing out my biggest clothing. That way when I start questioning what I'm doing, the plan is to put those clothes on and wear them around for a while. I may also get a backpack and fill it with sand or lead shot to simulate the weight I've lost, then I can wear the backpack and the clothes at the same time.
I'm too tired of not being able to participate in life.
happyteacher
on 10/12/12 11:48 pm
 Texas,

It doesn't matter which surgery you pick- you will have the ability to eat around the surgery.  That is what this post is about.  If you follow the plan (eat protein first, then healthy veg. and fruit) you will be just fine.  Note that I did not say that I have regained, and I am comfortably in a gray area- not quite maintence, but not quite the weight loss phase.  During the weight loss phase if you develop the habits you need you will be just fine.  I know preop it seems potentially impossible to develop those habits, but that is where the sleeve helps out tremendously.  

My post was only confirming that eating around the sleeve is very doable grazing, but that the restrictiion is clearly there should a person want to take advantage of it.  

I can't recommend this surgery enough!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

debk21
on 10/12/12 9:12 pm - Mansfield, TX
Here's your kick in the pants!  You know what you are doing every time you put something in your mouth...think about it, plan it, weight it, track it...that's what you have to do and you know it!  Not sure the liquids is actually nessasary but if that's what you feel you need to do - then do it!  ALWAYS do the protein first, hold off on the water for at least a 1/2 hour after eating and quit the darned grazing.  Staving off the water will help you stay full longer, but are you getting all your liquids in?  That's part of this too.  You are in control of this so take control hon!  Sorry about the kidney issue, glad you're okay and I know how health issues can get you off track mentally.  That is all behind you now so get back in the game!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Mrsdean4
on 10/12/12 11:14 pm - VA
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply to my whining!  I really appreciate it and it helped more than you know!  I am having my protein packed oatmeal this morning and I am heading out to a Garlic and Wine festival today with good protein sources packed and ready.  I am the designated driver as I still haven't had alcohol (and don't plan on adding it back anytime soon!). 

Thanks again for the encouragement.  Happy Fall, Y'all!

Mrsdean4
on 10/12/12 11:21 pm - VA
AND, now that I am eating slowly again and paying attention,  I am FULL at a little more than half of the packet of oatmeal.  Instead of my grazing and waiting a few minutes  and then eating more, I just threw the rest in the trash.  I am DONE!  =)  

texasrigdiver
on 10/13/12 1:06 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12
Awesome, good recovery squared. I hope you report back in a week or sooner to let us know your keeping up and doing the right thing.
judyk62
on 10/13/12 8:13 am - Santa Rosa, CA
I was sleeved exactly the same day as you. I have lost about 112 lbs. to date and want to lose at least 13 more which will put me in the normal bmi range. I am fortunate not to have had the health issues that you have, but I do have 2 very bad knees which prevent me from exercising the way I would like to. In fact, I will be having a total knee replacement on 11/19. But I have never stopped tracking, counting protein, fluids, and calories. It would be way too easy to eat too much and a lot of crap, if I didn't hold myself accountable. So here is my kick in the pants. Stop whatever you are doing now, get on to MFP or whatever tracking program you used before, and get back on your program. It's not a problem with your sleeve...

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views