How I am doing at 2 months out!!

MaryContrary80
on 10/31/12 1:37 am
VSG on 09/04/12

So I'm still a newbie, but I'm feeling less and less like one all of the time. Pre-surgery I always wanted to know what things were like at different stages so I thought I would let you know how I'm doing. If I only had one word, I would say amazing! 

So I thought I would start with NSVs

- I can go up and down 2 flights of stairs carrying 2 full baskets of laundry and NOT get winded... I just did it and I can't get over it.

-My house is clean. I know this is a weird one, but I have had so much more energy that I have really been keeping my house under control. Everything is in it's place and it feels great.

-I feel like I am a better mom. I have so much more energy and patience with my son who is 3 and a half. I find myself playing with him so much more and giving him a lot more time and attention.  

-My double chin is almost gone!! I have a little hanging on, but when I look in the mirror my face just looks different and I like it! 

-I can fit into 16s and some 14s from a size 20/22. This makes me SOO happy. I even fit into some Large size shirts from a 2X. 

-I'm more pleasant. I feel it. I honestly was so tired and sluggish before surgery that I think I was in general just more crabby and miserable at times. I find that I have a spring in my step when I wake up and I look forward to the day instead of dreading getting out of bed. 

-I'm enjoying exercise!! My goal is to work out 5 days a week but sometimes I do it every day. I am loving how it makes me feel and it is really helping me get over my addiction to food. 

-People are noticing the changes. I am getting compliments all the time on my appearance. Everyone has been sweet, kind, and SO supportive of me. I had it in my head before surgery that people would be judgmental but that has not been the case at all. Everyone has shown me tons of respect and kindness. 

-I don't punish myself anymore. I have been doing some meditation and really trying to work on giving myself what I need. I never paid any attention to what my body and mind really needed. I guess in some ways I knew but I never fed myself in that way. Now I take time to respect my emotions and be kind to myself. I used to punish myself and I don't feel like I do that so much anymore. I have my moments but I feel like I've been really able to forgive myself and move on. I try to think of myself like my son. I would never talk to him the way I used to talk to myself and I would be devastated if he treated himself the way I used to treat myself. So now I try to extend myself the same forgiveness and kindness that I would give him and it's been eye opening and so helpful. 

So other stuff.

- I have no problems with lactose. I have never had a problem with any food at all so far. In so many ways I actually feel pretty normal. I measure/weigh my food and stay under 800 cals and 40 carbs a day. I aim for over 60 protein a day. I do 3 oz. or less of dense protein and then a few bites of whatever else. I don't eat bread or pasta or those types of carbs, but I do eat fruit on occasion. I log everything on Myfitnesspal and I have to give a HUGE shout out to all of my MFP buddies. You have been amazing and supportive and keep me chugging along. MFP has been a very powerful tool for me!

To be honest with you, before surgery all of these rules/guidelines scared the crap out of me. I was afraid I couldn't stick to it. I was afraid of my old habits and that I wouldn't be able to overcome them, and that maybe I just wasn't going to be cut out for this, but I don't feel like that now that I'm actually doing it. It really doesn't actually feel that intimidating. Now it's just part of my lifestyle and what I do and I LIKE to do it. I think of my food log as a puzzle and I put things in and see how they fit and what numbers I'll get if I eat this instead of this. It's fun for me and kind of like a game, A tasty game!!!  Yes, I'm a dork, the surgery hasn't changed that!! :) I don't eat anything I don't like. I find that there is still a lot of variety to what I eat. I have some favorite foods that I always eat, but I don't feel deprived at all. Sometimes I have days where I miss my old "junk" but for the most part I'm very happy with my food options. Oh, and Pinterest has been a great resource for food ideas!! 

Anyway, in short this is just the best thing I've ever done. Right now I'm just proud of myself and happy.  I wanted to share that with anybody out there who is in the approval process or waiting for surgery and scared like I was. This is the greatest gift and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. 

melz1974
on 10/31/12 1:55 am
VSG on 07/10/12

You're doing awesome!!!  Isn't it just amazing how wonderful you feel after you've dropped the pounds?  I feel it too.  I'm so happy you're doing so well!!  Congrats!!!!!!!!

Sleeved July 10th ~ My independence day!
Highest Weight: 302, Consult Weight:298 Surgery Weight:263 

MaryContrary80
on 10/31/12 2:21 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thank you so much! Looks like you are doing pretty awesome yourself!! :)

Nadurra Deb
on 10/31/12 2:09 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

AWESOME! Isn't it great when you notice those little everyday things changing and notice it EVERY day again and again. I'm 3 months out. I just did a YouTube video (NadurraDeb) on all of my Little Miracles. The biggest one...laptop FITS on my LAP now!                                                                                                                                                                                            

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

KDMOM42
on 10/31/12 2:20 am - edmonton, Canada

Hi i'm new here, and with the waiting list in Alberta, looks like i will not get surgery till next summer. But i'm amazed at all the things you described, i cannot wait to have those moments where i actually have enough energy to keep my house clean and not get winded going up 10 steps.

Congrats.

MaryContrary80
on 10/31/12 2:25 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thank you! Good luck to you! You will get there!! :) 

Nadurra Deb
on 10/31/12 4:54 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

Welcome to OH!! You will learn so much here. You have the gift of time right now to learn as much as you can. Every tidbit will help you down the road. Your journey starts now! Good luck!

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

KDMOM42
on 10/31/12 9:45 am - edmonton, Canada
Thank u so much.. So happy to read about all the stuff people are going through before I go through it. I'm actually in te journey with my sister in law, which is nice to have someone going through it with me
MaryContrary80
on 10/31/12 2:24 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thank you!!! Congrats to you too! I'll have to check out your video!! 

nieba
on 10/31/12 3:28 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I was just thinking about you the other day wondering how you are doing.  I wish I could say I have been doing as amazing.

The good...

I like the fact I can out up the stairs in my house and at times nearly run up the stairs. I love the fact that my energy goes up every day. I also love the fact that I can eat anything I want...actually I haven't wanted any sweets or junk food at all. But I can drink my orange juice or have the onions or tomatoes in my food again! I have been having a lot of fun trying different foods and recipes that fit the program.

The bad...

My issues though are my gas. Everything I eat (while sitting) I get gas bubbles. Prilosec was working as well for me so I went to Prevacid and it too feels like it is only half working. I wish i could go back to taking Zegrid but the pills (capsules) are so big I am afraid it will get stuck. Now, I just got my first headache since surgery.

I have been stalled at 232-234 for the last month. I think part is stress. I started walking at work. We have been doing a mile a day. I want to start increasing the workout a little to get me going some more.

So proud of you! Hey what is your MFP name so I can look you up? Mine is beagles8102.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views