want to change weight loss procedures

wvgirl54
on 11/9/12 5:17 am - Omar, WV

I had lap band surgery about five years ago.  I have only lost 50 lbs.  Is it possible to have the band removed and have the gastric sleeve done?  I turned 60 in May am I too old now?

karismommy231
on 11/9/12 5:45 am
VSG on 11/05/12
I know my surgeon does them but you'd have to inquire at a surgeons office. Several patients in my nutrition classes were having their band removed and a sleeve done. also my surgeon doesn't even do lap band surgery unless that is the only option. I know most insurances only cover one procedure per lifetime so if you are on the same insurance I doubt it would be covered. GL!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Keywester
on 11/9/12 5:45 am
VSG on 12/05/12

I would check with your insurance company to see if you meet the requirements for a revision.

Shoegirl
on 11/9/12 7:46 am - TX

I had lap band in 2005 and 3 weeks ago I had the revision to the sleeve.  I have the same insurance I did when I got the band and they denied it at first but the doctor office resubmitted it and it was approved.  I think you should  check with your doctor.. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.   Robbie

dec721
on 11/9/12 8:26 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with

LOADS of folks on this site are band to sleeve revisions!  Search band to sleeve revision, but I believe there is also a revisions forum here.  And NO, you are not too old!!  Best wishes :-)

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

pineview01
on 11/9/12 9:01 am - Davison, MI

Ours due 60 to 65 if Ok'ed by medical doc.  I've seen others that do to 75!

My band is out and I'm trying for the sleeve now!  Many here have already.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

BrendaR1965
on 11/9/12 10:51 am - OH
VSG on 10/23/12

i had a lap band (2007) put in and recently had it removed and revised to a sleeve...best decision i ever made. Check with insurance to see if it will pay.  If its a medical necessity it might, depending on how dr writes it up

LilSleeved
on 11/9/12 7:39 pm

I revised to the Sleeve 6 weeks ago.  I love it!  

If you really want to do it, call you Medical Insurance and see if they will cover the revision.  You will  have to meet the requirements as for as BMI and co-morbidities, but if you only lost 50lbs, you may still have a BMI over 40.  For me, it was BMI over 40 without co-morbidities and 35 with 3 co-morbidities.   I was approved in one day.  But I had paid cash for my LapBand.  My doctor submitted the paperwork that my Band had to be removed immediately due to severe Reflux and vomiting.  It had not slipped, but when he got in there, he found my tubing was wrapped around my organs and he had to make holes in my stomach to get the band off due to a lot of scar tissue.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

pineview01
on 11/10/12 2:29 am - Davison, MI

I only had to have a BMI of 35> plus one co-morb.  When I got the band it was two co-morbs but my BMI was over 40 so it didn't matter.

Just check out your insurance. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views