How to get more than you give this Holiday Season

rhearob
on 11/28/12 1:41 am - TN

This is the season of Giving, as well as the season for receiving gifts.  I am going to encourage everyone on here to do the same simultaneously.

How you ask?

Support groups.  Attend one.  Participate actively.

By attending group you will receive a gift of knowledge and support from everyone who is there.  By participating and sharing of your own journey, regardless of success or struggle, you will give that same gift to others.

Heres a little secret for you too - by sharing you will get more back than you give.  Through sharing, not only will you provide a new point of view to someone else, you will remind yourself of the tools you need to succeed.  By sharing your struggles, you will lighten them.

So as we all head into the Holiday Season, As we struggle with Family, Friends, Finding the perfect gift and all of the things we have to do - make time for yourself and what you need.  It could not only help you, but someone else too.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

bill B.
on 11/28/12 2:17 am - NC
VSG on 12/13/12
Great post, I wish I had time for them. I attended one for my pre op classes.Unfortunately my work schedule never allows me to make one. I asked about doing a Saturday sometimes, so we will see how that goes.

rhearob
on 11/28/12 2:25 am - TN

Have you checked the OAC to see if theres another group that might work for your schedule?  Also Overeaters Anonymous is an option that works for many.

http://www.obesityaction.org/advocacy/support-groups/north-c arolina-support-groups

http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/

OA has many saturday and Sunday Meetings.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

bill B.
on 11/28/12 3:13 am - NC
VSG on 12/13/12
No I have not, thanks for the link, I will definitely look into it.

71dart
on 11/28/12 4:50 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I've been going to one for 3 months but I may quit because it is starting to depress the crap out of me. I'm doing well and am looking for advice from people to continue success, what to expect going forward, how to navigate challenges etc. Instead all I hear is the conversation being dominated by the 2-3 people who have not had success talking about all of the bad things that have happened to them.

I don't mind hearing the bad, but there is good too. I have success and strategies to share but cannot get in a word edgewise.

Maybe there is another group somewhere nearby I can attend. Maybe I should be more patient, but its a lot of driving to feel worse afterward.

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/12 5:01 am

Wonderful advice. I hope many, many take your advice.

I attend at least 2 groups per month. Sometimes even three. My San Jose group is the BEST! Hate missing that one.

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/28/12 11:57 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

Thanks Rob! Great insight and great suggestions! That's why you're one of my heros - your posts are always so insightful. I am one of those who can't get to our monthly meeting at my surgeon's office because I'm too far away and by the time I get off work and I can't get there before it's over halfway done. You have made me start thinking of ways to correct that though - if I just leave work an hour early that one day a month I can make it - sounds like a win-win to me! I work enough overtime and I'm salary so no one can really say anything unless we have a customer here on that day. Thanks again for the post!!

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views