Carbonated beverages

Jamesnana
on 12/7/12 1:53 pm - MA

Can I have soda once in awhile. Doc says no, but I was wondering what the consequences are.

Paulette
kathyslife3
on 12/7/12 2:29 pm - CA

I was told carbonated drinks can stretch you stomach out,  and to go through all you did to have your surgery heal and change your life for the better why sabotage for a soda?? 

Rita M.
on 12/7/12 9:28 pm - Webster, MA

Absolutely no soda!! It will not only put you in danger of damaging your sutures and lining of your stomach but also stretch it. Why go through all this including removing 85% of your stomach and be so disciplined and then screw it all up for a SODA? It's just nuts.

Hugs,

Rita

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/7/12 3:20 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
During the first while of healing - pain, nausea, reflux and possible damage to your suture line. Later on - pain, nausea and reflux. There are a few people who are eventually able to tolerate pop, but you'd be wise to listen to your surgeon for now.

You don't say whether you're hoping to have regular pop or diet. If regular - just don't go there. You're looking at major surgery to give you a tool to help you lose a large amount of body fat. Regular pop is full of totally empty calories and a great way to sabotage your weight loss efforts. Don't go into this planning to fail.

If diet pop is your aim and the flavour what you want rather than the fizz, you can buy the flavour concentrates at Bed, Bath and Beyond, WalMart and undoubtedly other places. Mix the concentrate with your (non-carbonated) water and drink away.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

dunlopfish
on 12/7/12 7:29 pm

mine said you can drink flat soda after 3 months

71dart
on 12/7/12 8:22 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Our Weight Loss psychiatrist said sleevers who drink carbonated beverages do not lose as much weight as those who abstain from it.

Nancybefree
on 12/7/12 9:22 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I was a Diet Pepsi addict, but my team said absolutely no soda after surgery, so I gave it up the day after my first consult with the surgeon (4.5 months before surgery).  I really don't miss it, and it's not worth it to me to drink it given the way it can interfere with the sleeve and with weight loss.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Jamesnana
on 12/7/12 9:30 pm - MA

Thanks, everybody.

Paulette
Saukratees
on 12/7/12 9:31 pm - GA
VSG on 11/14/12

No!  Nadda!  Nein! Nope!  Uh Uh!

You may end up back in the hospital . . . . 2 - 60 days in the hospital to undo the affects of Soda Drinking!

sleevegirl
on 12/7/12 10:53 pm - Austin, TX

I kicked my diet coke addiction prior to surgery (whew!).

I can NOT drink ANYTHING carbonated. Even now. I've accidently sipped from the wrong cup before and OMG, it hurts like hell. I'm kind of glad, frankly.

Can it stretch your sleeve? There's some debate about that. I mean, it's carbonated so the pressure builds up, but it does dissipate because you belch or whatever. Me? I wouldn't risk it plus it hurts me LOL

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views