Could my sleeve have been smaller?

Leiahaiel
on 1/17/13 3:15 pm
VSG on 06/11/12

I've always wondered this after looking at the incision site where they pulled the unneeded part of my stomach from. It is/was less than 1.5 inches. I am 7 months out of surgery and can eat 5 ounces of so of most food. Sometimes, and maybe this is a mental conflict, I wish my sleeve was smaller. I also get the temptation now and then to ask my clinic if I can get a revision. Is that crazy? I felt comfort in knowing that it was uncomfortable to eat and felt pride in knowing I was only consuming 500-600 calories. I haven't tracked lately, but I think that now I am close to 1000, maybe more. Is this bad? I've read this QUESTION asked before but don't recall an answer. Can our sleeves in fact increase in size? And, if so, can it be mended to the size it was without a revision? Sometimes I'm in fear for what I am capable of eating.

Lay any information on me honestly, but also nicely please. :)

ParisGirl
on 1/17/13 7:36 pm
VSG on 04/25/13
Search for Frisco's post on under eating your sleeve.

Good luck!

Jackie T.
on 1/17/13 9:54 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am not nearly as far out as you but I would start logging your food again and see how many calories you are eating and how much protein you are getting each day.  At the beginning your stomach was still swollen.  Your stomach and still stretch if your are overeating.

Remember this was just a tool and you have to use your tool but that also means changing your eating habits, exercising, following the plan.  If you don't do this then you will end up back where you started.  No matter how big or small your stomach is if you don't follow the rules it won't sustain you.

You might try the 5 day pouch test (get back on high protein).

I personally would not have a revision done.  You can do this, get back on track!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Jackie T.
on 1/17/13 9:55 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Also there is one other option which is to take this surgery to a DS if you are not losing all of the weight.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

lillypie9
on 1/17/13 10:08 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

You're leaving out important info here. Are you still losing weight? If not, are you following the rules: tracking intake of protein and carbs, water, exercise?

If you are still losing weight, why are you obsessing about sleeve size--what's the real story behind the anxiety? Have less optimal foods started creeping back into your diet or...? Instead of needless worry about what-ifs, just put one foot in front of the other and do what you need to do.

Crabadams72
on 1/17/13 10:19 pm - Silver Spring, MD
This topic is discussed here a lot but there are various things that come into play.

What size Bougie did your Dr use? (the instrument the sleeve is stapled around). Sizes range from as low as 28 to a high of 42. This is still much smaller than before.

How skilled/experienced is your Dr with making sleeves?

What is his success rate with his sleeved patients?

It is normal to be able to eat more after swelling has gone down. BUT, just because you can eat 5 oz doesn't mean you should.

Are you eating 5 oz of lean meat?

Try 3oz of meat and 1/2 cup veggies. Measure and don't try to get "full".

Stay oin top of your water intake as well.

Sleeve size is debated here a lot but even people w tiny sleeves can "cheat" by drinking calories, eating ice cream, carbs, cake, cookies, and other junk.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

slimpickins5280
on 1/17/13 11:58 pm - CO

What she said.

OP - I have a small Sleeve. At 15 months out, I can barely eat 2 ounces of meat. Veggies usually have to wait until later. This means I have to be very mindful of snacking because I have to eat 5-6 meals just to be able to get in enough protein.

The point is, make the most of what you have. Protein first. Don't eat until full - eat until comfortable. Drink a glass of water before you go for food.

The most important thing it to start working head crap.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/13 11:55 pm

At this point it doesn't really matter if your sleeve could have been made smaller.  You have the sleeve that you have and the real challenge for you, as for the rest of us, is learning to live, lose weight, and then maintain with the tool that you have now.  My suggestion for you is to start (or start again) to journal every bite you put in your mouth.  Make sure that you are eating three meals of protein (lean protein is best) about 3 ounces, followed by veggies.  You can also add more veggies to your snacks.  Most of my snacks further out are veggie based.  You can work any size sleeve, yes, it is harder if your sleeve is bigger, but that should not be used as an excuse to stop weight loss or to fail in maintenance.  We simply need new techniques to make it work.  Let me know if you get stuck or need more support, I am here if you need me.  You can do this.

PoohHag
on 1/18/13 12:40 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

I too can eat about 5 oz and I'm about 7 months out too.  

It is what it is.  Work with what you have.  You still have to choose the right foods.  5 oz of chicken is a whole lot better than a bag of potato chips.  

emelar
on 1/18/13 12:53 am - TX

The size of the incision has absolutely nothing to do with anything.  The size of your stomach is determined by the guide used by the surgeon and his/her technique.  And no, it really can't be revised to be made smaller.

You sound like you're right where you should be.  My surgeon told me my final stomach capacity would be 1 - 1 1/2 cups (8 to 12 oz), and that's right where I am.  And it's more than okay.  But I understand your panic about your capacity increasing.  I think secretly we all believe that we're gonna be the only one whose stomach regenerates itself back to its original size.  But it won't happen.

Stick with your plan - protein first, then veggies, then everything else.  Don't drink with your meals.  Don't eat crap.  Everything else will fall into place.  Really!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views