It's been a while - and a question

ksommer08
on 1/18/13 11:12 am - OH
VSG on 06/25/12

Hi everyone! I feel like it's been so long. I guess that happens as we start to move on to our new lives.

I'm still losing, though it's slowed way down. I would like to lose another 5 or 10 lbs, but my body seems to be fighting it. I can drop below 170 for a day or two, but the scale always rebounds back up. I'm okay with where I am for the moment though.

Here's my question. A big part of the reason I went through this journey was to beat PCOS. I've lost 160 and am now no longer clinically overweight, even by BMI standards and my body fat percentage is in a healthy range (yes!), but my PCOS has not improved at all. Still have all the body hair issues, lack of ovulation, lack of cycling - everything that goes along with the PCOS. Any ladies out there manage to get the weight off and NOT have their PCOS improve? I didn't expect it to go away entirely, but I was hoping that I might be able to greatly reduce its impact on fertility in the future, and all its pesky side effects.

JAlston
on 1/18/13 11:22 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I don't have any advice but wanted to tell you that the weight loss alone can make a huge impact on your future fertility. I thought I would share my story. I also have PCOS and was always told that I would never be able to get pregnant or it would be next to impossible from many Drs. I used birth control to regulate my periods and went to Shady Grove Fertility when we were ready.

I was immediately shot down because at the time I was 293lbs. My Dr. told me in order to even start the fertility process that I would need to lose 30lbs. Being overweight has such an impact on fertility that Shady Grove won't waste the patient's time or money knowing that being so overweight can reduce the impact of the drugs. I had heard how fat I was from everyone, every Dr. My fertility Dr. was different. I lost 25lbs in 4 months and he was impressed. He let me begin the preparations for treatment. My husband and I did the lowest level of treatment (cheapest and covered by my insurance) which was timed intercourse. I took clomid, had to give myself a shot in the stomach and the Dr. told us which days to have sex.

Long story...long. I got pregnant from the first cycle. So while PCOS seems terrible it maybe that it is just effecting the regularity of your cycles and that you need the help of the fertility drugs to regulate and get things on track so that everything lines up when it needs to. kiss

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

gorditabonita
on 1/18/13 11:19 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Hi! I have PCOS, so I can relate to your frustration. My symptoms did diminish greatly once I had my LapBand but, now, that it is gone, my PCOS is back. I hope it will go away after I get my sleeve this week.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views