Sleeve option for ME?

Jadeyesmiling
on 2/10/13 12:32 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I have been to many informational meetings and I actually went through the entire program already and I was being cleared for Surgery when we lost insurance.  I was going for the full bypass.  This was the beginning of 09. I was just out of two surgeries for thyroid cancer/had radiation therapy and pulled my back out.  Now I am in a wheelchair, my HW was approximately 520.  I am now at 471. 

With the Bypass I was told probably about 200 pounds and that is about what both of my friends have lost in the past few years.  I have a friend 10 years out or more, one almost four years out, and one three years out.  All down over 200 after the bypass surgery.

Would the sleeve give me the same results as the Bypass?? I always worried about the nursing home, not getting enough nutrients and all of that.  Because of course there are no senior citizens that have had the bypass so there is really no way to say if its safe down the road or if they are giving us MORE life on THIS end and shaving it off the other end.

I would love to eventually be under 200 but that is a dream.  I would be happy to be 250 which would be 100 pounds thinner than when I met my husband.  I am 44 and not getting any younger.  I recently re-entered the program at my local hospital and Im working on losing the 71 pounds required to bring me to the point of being accepted for surgery.

What would be your recommendations?!  HELP!! Bypass is all I am familiar with.

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

moonglo82
on 2/10/13 12:39 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

There are many here who have lost more than 200 pounds with a sleeve... my husband is one of them, although he does not post here.  IMO the sleeve would be a better option than the bypass if you're worried about not absorbing vitamins and such, but I'm not an expert on that. 

Best of luck.  You can do this!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

mickeymantle
on 2/10/13 2:18 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you have a bad back the sleeve would be better for you because you can't take nsaid pain relievers with a bypass 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Windycindy
on 2/10/13 4:06 pm
I am just 9 days out from my surgery so I don't have a lot to add, but just wanted to give you encouragement. I am 63 and decided I wanted to live the rest of my life living...not hiding or feeling bad. Good luck with your decision.
frisco
on 2/10/13 4:20 pm

It would be in your best interest if you decide on the VSG to find a VSG surgeon that has great history and statistics with the SMO.

The VSG is not a standardized procedure and results can vary.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 2/10/13 7:27 pm

I am also a cancer patient- being able to not be restricted on meds is huge.  The weight loss with sleeve is comparable to the Rny too.  You can make it all the way to goal with the sleeve :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Jadeyesmiling
on 2/10/13 7:41 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

congrats on your weight loss! :)  I hope you are cancer free now!

Jadeyesmiling
on 2/10/13 7:39 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Thank you all for replying! I have been considering surgery for more than 12 years now!  I know it seems crazy but I have had big weight loss successes in there that kept me believing that maybe I could actually do it on my own. I also had the book "weight loss surgery for dummies" which was very helpful but  probably now outdated with newer options.

So, I have been through all of the nutrition classes and all of the happy who-ha stuff, but I was just stumped by all of the people now talking about the sleeve where before it was rarely mentioned.  My good friend who has had success (over 200 lbs lost) with her bypass has a daughter that has opted for the sleeve....so it certainly did peak my interest.

After I felt God brought me through cancer...I certainly did not want to die of obesity..seems kind of idiotic. So, I really do appreciate your help.  I guess I will have to see if the surgeon I am working with has done many of these vs. the amount of bypasses.

:)

Thank you!

jenlaur1
on 2/10/13 7:55 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

where are you going for your surgery?  I am seeing Dr. Kelly in Worcester, over at the UMass Lake Ave campus.  He is very experienced in all surgeries..his partners are too.  He's been at UMass for a very long time (not sure how long..but he was there when I was looking into wls back in 2003/04).  If you're interested..here is the link for the weight loss center http://www.umassmemorial.org/our-care/weight-center

It sounds like you're already in a program...but just putting it out there.  I hope you can figure out what you want to do.  IMO I think the sleeve would be better if you're worried about nutrients.  :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Jadeyesmiling
on 2/11/13 12:55 am
VSG on 02/08/16

I am working with  UMass, I was in their program last year when I had a hard time with one of the nutritionists.  She has left and I have an appointment with Lacey who is supposed to be wonderful.  I completed the program previously through The Fallon Clinic and I was going to be cleared for surgery and my husband got laid off and we had no insurance. (a 2 year lay off!! NOT fun!)

It looks like now I really have to study up on the sleeve which I have not really read up on.  The bypass I could probably quote in my sleep having studied and read up for the past 12 years! LOL

Currently I had a visit with Dr. Gitkin because I had been out of the loop for almost a year.  The good news in this situation is that my primary care Dr. used to work up at UMASS with Dr. Gitkin and the bariatric program. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views