Another Great Article!

rhearob
on 2/19/13 10:03 pm - TN

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

gorditabonita
on 2/19/13 10:45 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Yes, this was an interesting article, but I don't think it's the food industry's job nor the government's (!!!!) to control what I eat or what my children eat. I am the parent and I can say 'no'. I can read food labels and make my own informed decisions. For example, I have 2 young cousin-in-laws who are extremely obese. For years, their grandparents and parents let them eat McDonald's everyday. I don't think it's McDonald's fault that they became obese....it is the parents and grandparents who were at fault.

Where I fault the industry is deceptive labeling and commercials. I would also like to see more healthy food options. However, I don't have a problem with them selling the unhealthy stuff either. I just don't have to buy it. For example, with yogurt......if they want to sell red velvet cheesecake yogurt, that's fine. Eventually, I may buy it once in a while (it has few calories that a real slice of cake), but for the most part I will stick to the no fat, low calorie varieties for me and my family.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

rhearob
on 2/19/13 10:56 pm - TN

Actually, I completely agree with you about the personal responsibility aspect.  I did not get to 343 lbs because McDonalds or PIzza Hut starpped me down and made me eat there every day.  I did that.

Personally I am of two minds and somewhat undecided on the aspect of corporate responsibility.  These mega food corporations, as is their right under laissez-faire economics and pure capitalism, have the obligation to their shareholders to optimize profits by making the most marketable and cheapest product.   If I don't buy it they will change course and make something I will buy.  I vote with my wallet.

The libertarian in me says I don't want the government telling me what to eat and they need to stay the hell out of my pantry and my bedroom.  What I wouldn't mind though is a tax on unhealthy food that was earmarked to subsidize healthier options.  Make those buying hostess snack cakes subsidize the fruit and yogurt cup so that its just as affordable as the sugar crusted fried apple pie.

Its no different than taxing cigarette makers to pay for smoking prevention campaigns.

gorditabonita
on 2/19/13 11:20 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

What I would like to see something done about is the lack of healthy food options in poor neighborhoods. Perhaps, the food companies and the grocery stories could work together to achieve this. I don't think it should be a law or mandated, but I do think that the companies should be able to come together and have a system where there is equal access to healthy food.

I would also like to see more nutritional education programs. My youngest has come up during a new wave of nutritional education programs in the public school. She can tell you EVERYTHING about healthy food choices. I worry that it is taking time away from other valuable classroom activities (math, reading....you know, the basics) and I would rather see programs like these during the weekend or evening, and more accessible for everyone. I think it should be done on a state or county level, though.

I also vote with my wallet!!!! 

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

rhearob
on 2/19/13 11:34 pm - TN

Thats exactly what I was talking about.  I think poor neighborhoods tend to make poor food choices because those tend to be the cheapest.  My family grew up in the projects in West Knoxville.  I can remember as a kid walking to the store with my grandmother and she would get ingredients and cook for us. 

As I grew up, two things happened.  The prices of ingredients went up and more and more fast food moved into the neighborhood.  Her little IGA became more of a convenience store selling mostly snack cakes and candy and pre-processed foods.  

My dad joined the army and moved our family out of the projects.  My mom used to cook, but then when I got a certain age she went back to work.  What happened - convenience.  She stopped cooking from scratch and started cooking pre-prepared foods or we started eating out more and more.

Thats why I think taxing the unhealthy foods and using that income to bring the prices on fresh food and ingredients more affordable.  Level the playing field.

I also agree on education.  In fact I am lobbying my surgery center to start a regular nutrition education support group to help educate patients just not on WHAT food choices to make, but also the HOW and WHY.

gorditabonita
on 2/19/13 11:50 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

It's funny how in the end, we usually agree. kiss

I am so blessed to live in a nice neighborhood. My husband and I both grew up in poor areas, and we had the same experience as you. Now, we managed to overcome our very modest beginnings and have moved to one of the richest counties in the country. I can literally walk to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a premium Giant. Even when we go to restaurants, we are not restricted to KFC, McDonald's, etc. I have every healthy food choice at my disposal. But, when we visit our old neighborhoods, sadly it's just the opposite.

I remember as a kid that you couldn't buy unhealthy food with food stamps.....Things have really changed these days and I think we are missing an incredible opportunity to educate many people. Why not have nutritional education as a part of the food stamp program?

Ok - that's enough of me pretending to be a politician. I have enjoyed discussing this topic with you!  

michellemj
on 2/20/13 12:04 am

Yes. THIS!

I live in NYC. and it's amazing the difference in restaurants in different neighborhoods. Fast food aplenty in poorer neighborhoods. and in affluent neighborhoods? you have to search for those.

and even in my own workplace's cafeteria (and um, I work for a hospital) the "bad" food is far cheaper than the salad bar.

While I'd like "them" to quit telling me what to eat, I wouldn't mind increased taxes on non-healthy options as long as it meant lowering prices on fruits and veggies. and while Bloomberg's soda size thing was controversial, does anyone really need 32oz of soda? Really?

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

jenn227
on 2/19/13 10:56 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

OMG....it seems like a sci fi movie..."They" are out to get us...but it's really true.  Thank you very much for sharing this article!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

MuttLover
on 2/19/13 11:49 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

One campaign that I've been paying attention to is the big ad campaign for Cuties - the tangerines.  I'd be really interested in knowing how much their sales went up after the campaign.  It would be very interesting to see how effective advertising that promoted a heathy snack choice really was!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Crabadams72
on 2/20/13 12:57 am - Silver Spring, MD
Like others mention, I grew up in a working class neighborhood. Our local Kroger store did not carry the leaner cuts of meat or the freshest veggies and fruits.

My parents used to drive to the nicer neighborhoods to shop.

I used to think mom was being a snob, now I do the same thing. Just yesterday I stopped in Sams club. I was looking for Splenda and DaVinci syrups. This location did not have either product, nor did they have some of the veggies I get from a different location. I won't be going back if I can help it.

These big chains also overcharge in the "hood" areas. They know shoppers get food subsidies so they will charge $3 for a head of lettuce, when the nicer location in the burbs will charge $1.99.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views