Rhearob Update

rhearob
on 4/24/13 5:38 am - TN

I know I have been gone WAY too long.  I have bee really crazy at work with this new project and spending a LOT of time on the road - literally.

So whats been up with me?  A Hernia and My Weight.  I have been steadily gaining over the past three or four weeks.  I am up 9 lbs from my lowest weight.  I am still in my maintenance zone - but over the midpoint.  I have gone back to 600-700 calorie days to bring it back off.

Some of the weight gain has been related to the Hernia.  It has caused what the doc termed slow transit constipation.  Let me tell you, that hasn't been pleasant. Miralax, Ex-Lax, Magnesium Citrate, Fleet Enemas - Nothing worked.  Finally I was given prescription strength Colace and that has helped.  I am finally starting to feel human again.  Thank god nothing got impacted.  I did not want to consider the rectal root-rooter.

I lost three pounds recently and that has been mainly in BM.  So for those of you who always thought I was full of ****I admitted it, LOL.  I am having my surgical consult for the hernia repair next tuesday.  I am going to see if I can co-schedule it with the Mastopexy and Brachioplasty.  Just get all the carving done at once.

On the plus side, just before the hernia started showing its ugly head, I did run both a 10k and a 5k back to back.  That was a lot of fun.  I can still walk while I recover from the hernia but any future running is off, so I am doing lots of that.

I'll try to do better with showing up and staying in touch.  Thanks to everyone who messaged and checked in on me!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

anninva
on 4/24/13 5:44 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Hi hon, have been missing you!  sorry no email!  crazy here right now too!  i just have to say THREE POUNDS OF POOP is disgusting!!!!!  glad you got rid of it though!

sounds like a crazy time -- prime time for some weight gain!  you're such a rockstar though that i know you'll be fine!

be in touch soon.  in the meantime -- big hugs!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mimij
on 4/24/13 5:53 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Get better soon Rob. Sending you well wishes and prayers.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/13 6:05 am

Was wondering where you had gone off to! Now I know. Life happens and is to be expected. Sorry to hear about the hernia. That is not pleasant. I had mine fixed during my VSG, but mine was so mild I didn't even know I had it until my VSG surgeon pointed it out during my pre-op exam. I'm sure you will have the weight off in no time - if that's what you decide to do. I know you have a lot of flexibility with your weight because of your height and already being at the lower end of your bmi.

Have been missing your wonderful posts. Don't stay away too long!

full-of-hopen
on 4/24/13 7:52 am

Wishing you the very best....take care!  Barb

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

Nancybefree
on 4/24/13 7:57 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Wow, Rob, sorry to hear you're having to deal with all that.  I'm sure you're disappointed about the running.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Sheryl G.
on 4/24/13 10:20 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

Glad to see you back! I'm just wondering if the doc could tell you what caused the slow transit constipation? I'm having lots of trouble with constipation and have tried everything you list in addition to a daily regime of fiber supplements that I saw ruggie had posted some time back - nothing works except a Exlax with a fleet enema (ugh!). I have an appointment with a GI doc but she can't see me until mid May. I may explode by then! Anyway, just curious about your diagnosis.

By the way, I refer to your eating diary on MFP constantly ... it is so helpful to me! You are my VSG hero!!

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

rhearob
on 4/24/13 10:34 am - TN

Thank you so much for the compliment!  I am glad to help.

In my case its probably a complication of the hernia.  The muscle is just weakened enough that I am not able to push completely to evacuate.  What My doc gave me was prescription colace and linzess (a laxative).  That seems to be working.  3 lbs in pone day is a pretty good indicator that things are moving.  We shall see in the AM.  I still have that full feeling, but it seems to get progressively better.

Ex-Lax and the fleet enema did not help me.  Magnesium Citrate did not help.   I was worried about the possibilities of an impacted stool.  But this seems to be working.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Sheryl G.
on 4/24/13 12:17 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

Thanks for the reply Rob. I have a small hernia but I don't think it is causing any trouble. My surgeon checks it when I see him but he doesn't really say anything about it. I can't feel it or anything. I am really tired of only "going" once a week and only with extreme measures and still having that full feeling you mention. Hopefully the GI doc will get me in sooner.

Hope you get to have the 3-in-1 surgery that you are hoping for! :)

Sheryl

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

thinnersinner
on 4/24/13 11:15 am

I've been wondering what happened to you.  I'm curious how you knew you had a hernia.  What were your symptoms?  Sending good vibes your way for a complete recovery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views