Pre-Op Diet! I'm getting close

Mom_2_4
on 5/11/13 1:05 pm
VSG on 05/22/13

Started the Pre-op Diet yesterday and it went pretty well.... Until the weekend..  I managed to do OK but did eat a little today and it was definitely stress eating.  I'm worrying about all the "Head Hunger" post surgery... It seems the more TV I watch and the louder my kids whine the "hungrier" I get.

On the bright side, I lost 4 lbs in one day --- water weight I'm sure!

Still questioning my readiness for this life change... Is that normal? Are you ever truly ready? HELP!!

Elisa :)

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Calking
on 5/11/13 2:47 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

You are doing this for your health and to be around for your kids.  Obesity is a slow killer and you are choosing not to die an early death.  Whenever you question why you are doing this remember those thoughts and it will be helpful.

Hunger is different post op.  As you are no doubt aware you are having the part of your stomach removed that is responsible for producing grehlin which is the hunger hormone.  While not fully out of your body this hormone will be greatly reduced.  I realize that isn't where the head hunger comes from but you will be surprised how much less of that head hunger you will have.  Besides that you will also discover that it is almost a full time job to get in the minimum of 8 cups of liquids per day.  So when you do get this head hunger you can grab a drink and drink.  This helps a lot.  Especially if the drink is a protein shake.  These being a little thicker than a water based drink will fill you and satisfy you more.

Yep, questioning this is normal pre op as well as post op.  Especially one week pre op through one month post op I would say most have doubts.  But when one month goes by and you have lost something like 25 pounds give or take a little you will start to think on why you didn't do this sooner. 

If you ask anyone in this forum what there biggest regret is it would be not having done this sooner.  Doing your surgery coming up will be better than waiting for years to pass.  At that point the future you would come back to the present you and kick your #$%# if you could.

Be nervous as it is normal.  Think about the trouble health wise you will have if you don't get the surgery and realize that you should be more nervous not to do this.  Be strong for your kids, so that they can have a nice healthy mom to grow old with them. 

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

AmberL
on 5/11/13 3:07 pm

I was questioning whether I was ready even as they were wheeling me into the operating room - and I'm not sure what I said to the doctor but he even told me that "we don't have to do this today if you aren't ready" but I told him that if I didn't do it that day I probably wouldn't be back!   I'm still in that questioning phase because my surgery was not even a week ago.

But trust me, don't worry about the hunger post-surgery, becuase I have not been hungry once.  It is such a chore to get in fluids and any food at all.  I had 138 calories today according to MFP and I do not feel hungry at all.  I feel full all the time. 

You are doing the hard part right now, the pre-op diet, but even towards the end of that it didn't really bother me. I could watch my husband and daughter eat and not want anything, becuase after 2 weeks I was just used to the fact that it wasn't an option for me at that point. I sat through dinner at Cracker Barrell (which I LOVE) the night before my surgery and drank only broth. You will make it!  

Vanessa_M
on 5/11/13 7:46 pm
The beginning of the pre-op diet is a little tense! By the end, I could have food around me and be okay. One of the things we were taught is to no****ch a lot of TV. There are soooooo many commercials about food during each break. Maybe you could DVR your shows and fast forward through the commercials. That may help.
Good luck. It'll be worth it!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

HappyGigi
on 5/12/13 1:39 am - FL

Being anxious right before surgery is definitely normal...........Are most of us ever really ready for a big change when it means possibly giving up a few things that we love? Probably no! But the few things we may give up (like that large salad with all the trimmings!) can possibly be enjoyed in a "smaller" way down the road. Our ultimate health goal is the most important thing we have to keep in mind. The Pre-op Diet was probably the most challenging for me because of the hunger you still feel. Now at only 5-days post-op, the hunger feeling is gone. Would I still like to chew and eat......yes. But am I hungry? NO!

We entertained family on my 3-day post-op. My brother had just flown in with fresh Morrel mushrooms that he had gathered for me up north. Since no one in the family knows about my surgery, it was a little difficult to explain the liquid diet I was on and that I couldn't eat, but I did and stuck to my plan.  I sat and watched everyone eat steak and morrel mushrooms, mashed potatoes and gravy while I sipped my broth! When dinner was over, I retained 4 mushrooms, 1 tbsp mashed potatoes and a drizzle of gravy and froze it! I will get my Morrel mushrooms (once a year treat) down the road sometime!

As I sat there watching everyone eat, I just reflected on how grateful I was that I had had a smooth surgery and easy recovery and that everyday forward I was going to be a healthier person!

Good luck on your surgery and hang in their on that Pre-op Diet.....it really IS the most challenging to begin with!

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

Mom_2_4
on 5/12/13 2:56 am
VSG on 05/22/13

Thanks for all the advice... I'll stick it out. It's good to know it's normal!

Happy Mother's day for those to whom it applies!

Elisa :)

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views